• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interchangeable engines?

JeepManDan

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys! Just my luck, I just finished my axle swap and then my engine blows on the first wheelin' trip.

I got an in for an inline 6 from a 1999 grand cherokee for cheap, and I figured i'd check and see make sure it'll work in my 1992 cherokee, at least wiring wise. The guy said he replaced it with a 4.0 from an 01 TJ if that helps.

Thanks guys, help is apperciated!

The block is different from ours and the accessory layout is quite a bit different. It's actually a bit better, but you'd have to swap all of the accessories to use the block. If you wanted to keep AC, you'd also need to have custom refrigerant hoses made up.

'99 Grand Cherokees also had the 0331 head. :fuse:

'99 Grand Cherokees also had the 0331 head. :fuse:

Slight correction. '99 Grands also had the crack prone version of the 0331 head, later fixed in 2003

Yes, all that and the engine mounts. The sensors can be moved over for the PCM.

Also, why would someone replace an engine with the same one unless there is a problem?

But the engine mount on the block side would be the same correct?

I always had this idea in my head that all 4.0's and 4.2's blocks were essentially identical the outside. and if a hole was not there, it was atleast cast to be drilled out.

So wouldn't a complete XJ accessory layout bolt onto a bare Grand Cherokee block?

Engine blocks underwent clean sheet design changes effective in the 99 Grand and 00 TJ. The blocks are not interchangeable. Mounts are not interchangeable.

you can make a 99 WJ block go into an XJ (his was a 1996) but it requires machine work. A good friend of mine did it.

The sad thing is that when he parted it out, the guy who wanted to buy it had... a less than stellar understanding of the English language. The conversation went like this:

Doug: this is going in a Cherokee right? not a Grand Cherokee?
Buyer: yes yes, is going in Cherokee!
Doug: ok cool, come on up and we'll load it. You will NEED a 4wd pickup to get out of the yard.
Buyer: is ok, we will make it

Buyer shows up... in a 4wd ZJ... with printouts of pictures of both sides of the block on his motor. How the hell do you load a motor into the back of a ZJ without tearing the upholstery up?

Buyer: is no good! will not fit! is... is mounts is not same!
Doug: you're kidding me. You said this is going in a Cherokee.
Buyer: yes yes... is going in Gran Cherokee! Gran! No fit!
Doug: welp, good lord. Shit's never gonna fit. I told you.

Buyer left :dunno:

Well, that's what I wanted to know. Haha, Thanks guys.

So what years of 4.0's will swap directly in from which jeeps?

Thanks again guys, i really apperciate it.

The wiring is not an issue. All you have to do is take the electrical parts off of your current engine and move them to the donor engine, and everything will work just like it already does. You do not need to go looking for engines with compatible electronics; you will be disposing of that stuff.

In terms of physical engine compatibility, the closer you stay your current generation the easier it will be. The further you get from your current generation, the more work will be required. Some of the work is desirable (some improved components) some of it less so.

If your 92 is fully stock, the most direct swap will be another 91-95 XJ engine. All of the brackets and emission parts are the same (the AC compressor changed in 93 but the bracket is the same). I think the YJ HO and the ZJ 4.0 engines are basically the same in terms of brackets and bosses but I don't know for sure.

96-99 XJ engines are very similar but the power steering bracket and the belt tensioner assembly is different. They are superior to the 91-95 setup, but you have to swap the power steering pump too since its also different. The A/C bracket is different but you can bolt your old bracket onto the block. 97-up do not have the hole for the temperature gauge sender anymore either, so you would have to find somewhere else to put the sender (not a big deal but its a difference). 99 has the curved intake manifold that some people prefer. TJ and WJ changed to the newer 4.0 layout in 99; I am pretty sure that the 96-98 is essentially the same as ours.

'00-01 XJ engines have the coil rail ignition, which is more work. However you have to swap the ignition parts anyway so its not that big of a deal. The exhaust ports on the head changed again too and there are some problems getting older headers to line up from what I have read. Also the heads have problems with cracking. The TJ and WJ 4.0 engines in this period are not compatible.

Going backwards, the 87-90 XJ engines can also be made to work if you strip them all the way down. They have very different accessories (alternator, etc) but you can make yours fit with some effort. I have even heard of people putting the 4.2 Wrangler block under the 4.0 head for a mini-stroker. More work, keep in the 91-99 years for maximum simplicity

Everything electronic has to be kept the way it is now, and some of these little parts changed every couple of years, so unless you get another 92 then you need to keep all of the sensors, fuel injectors, and ignition parts (including distributor, coil, CPS, etc) that you have now and move them to the donor. Components from the other years won't interchange correctly unless you can find proof that they will. Injectors changed very often, temperature sensors changed, CPS changed, etc.

The fuel plumbing and return is specific to your vehicle, so you will have to keep the fuel rail and parts you have now and move them to the donor engine.

You also have to watch for things like the throttle body assembly, which changed a few times. You'll probably just move yours over instead of trying to adapt your sensors to work on the newer style. This kind of stuff is what you run into, but it's entirely doable.

I put a 99 XJ engine into my 91 and it was pretty simple.

Back