• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help deciding?? LCA and spring

1evilxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I am about to purchase a Rusty's 4.5 spring lift and I am wondering if it is worth the extra $$ to get the adjustable LCA and if so get the regular rubber end or the forged flex joint? Also wondering on the rear to get the full 4.5 inch spring or the 3" spring and the 1.5" shackle?? They have a option for both set ups. What would ride and last better. I only do very little wheeling so mostly a pavement puppy but my 6 year old does like hitting a few back trails now and then:spin1: ANy help would be great!

you will need adjustable LCAs, but I wouldn't go with Rusty's arms, or their flex joint. It's a Johnny Joint clone that just doesn't match the standards or the real thing. Check out Romken, Currie, or IronMan Andy's LCAs. They all use the real deal.

So I guess I will look into another lift system then. I would like to go with a system that I can eventually go to long ARM after I keep reading that RE is not as good as it used to be either so what are some suggestions?? I am also considering going a 3-3.5 inch lift as like I said I will be on the road 95% of the time

any system can be converted to long arm, but no such thing as a system that gets you part way there. Long arms involve replacing the transmission crossmember and running new control arms to there instead of the stock locations.

Rusty's does have a pretty complete kit, if you plan on upgrading later just go with the cheapest fixed LCA. Rough Country also has some nicely priced complete kits. You could also consider getting a kit, then selling the parts you don't want to use and use the cash to buy better parts. Should have no problem selling brand new, never installed control arms.

Sounds good. So Rustys is a ok kit besides the lca? One reason for choosing them was such a complete kit for short $$ but if RC is better than they used to be and that was garbage then I could go that route.

I am about to purchase a Rusty's 4.5 spring lift and I am wondering if it is worth the extra $$ to get the adjustable LCA and if so get the regular rubber end or the forged flex joint?

I was just looking for an answer to this exact same question.

Have you done the install yet? Did you go with another adjustable LCA? If so, which one, and how do you like it?

I know I am a little late to this party, but I would caution anyone about rustys leaves. Mine turned into a W shape on me.

My rustys. Fixed LCAs with rubber were fine for what they were. Nice part is they use stock bushings, so its easy to get replacements. Had to get adj. Lowers when I went to drop brackets.

Honestly OP if you are still looking, try and get an OME 3.5 kit. I helped a friend install one, and it rides great. His is also 95% commuting, and he still loves it 3-4 years later.

Hmmmm. Was pretty set on the Rusty's because of the price. But I'm sure reading a lot of bad stuff about the quality. I may have to rethink it.

Thanks.

Rusty's = Good springs, but bad bushings/arms

If I knew what I know now I would of waited on doing my first lift. If you already know you wana upgrade to long arms someday trust me, save up another 6 months or whatever and just get it all in one shot. You waste a lot of cash doing things twice.

I would also keep your eyes peeled for any lift kits used a well as long arms, springs, shocks ect. Whatever you can't find you get new, mainly just new shocks would be best. I bought a used rock krawler 3 link for 600 and sold my short arm lift with some ome shocks for 800.... says a lot man. Keep your eyes peeled and I bet you will find parts used, at least the more expensive pieces of it. Theres always guys upgrading, watch the forums and craiglist in like a 150 mile ridius of you and you'll find some things.

true story. I have yet to buy anything brand new - except for brake lines. You find fantastic deals if you're diligent and patient

craigslist is awesome and so are the chapter classifieds on here. i would not suggest rusty's leaf springs. i had rusty's 3.5" lift leafs and had terrible axle wrap. they definitely sag pretty quickly. haven't heard complaints about their coils though

Back