• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4wd light is flickering on and off

McJesse

NAXJA Forum User
It started doing this when i had to swap axles since the other one was crap and Idk what I need to do to fix it. If you guys can help me I'd appreciate it

Since the light flickers on an off, I will assume he has a disco model since the light is powered though a vacuum switch.

It sounds like you have a vacuum leak.

The 4WD indicator on a XJ does not check the position of a vacuum motor, but the amount of vacuum present at the vacuum switch with is t-connected to the vacuum motors actuation side.

Perhaps you have the hoses mixed up at the actuator/vacuum motor? IIRC, there are 3.

-Ron

The switch on a 242 uses a spring-loaded ball that rides the lever, and the little contacts inside can go bad causing the light to flutter. My full-time light did that for a while and now doesn't light up at all

*hi jack*-i just swapped a non-disconnect axle into my previously disconnect equipped xj ...is there an easy way to get the part time light off ,short of just pulling the bulb???...is there an easy way to make it functional if i wanted to keep it??..i have a 231...

Mcjesse: re-read my post. Unless you swapped in a non-disco axle, it applies to you.

Hijacker in post 18: you must deal with the vacuum switch. Remove and cap the vacuum line coming from the manifold going to the transfer case vacuum switch. Now remove the power connector at the 4wd switch on the right side fire wall. It doesn't look like much, just a small cylinder with some filter material on top, a vacuum line going in, and a 2 lead plug, may be green or blue.

-Ron

*hi jack*-i just swapped a non-disconnect axle into my previously disconnect equipped xj ...is there an easy way to get the part time light off ,short of just pulling the bulb???...is there an easy way to make it functional if i wanted to keep it??..i have a 231...

crawl under the front axle and loop the two ports shown here-- I think the other one gets a vacuum cap, but it may not even need that.

vacuumbypass.jpg

I wouldnt have 4wd if i did that cuz i need those lines to go to the axle?
If you read his post, he referenced/quoted someone else who posted in your thread.

If you go the route of sliding the fork over to "permanently" engage your front axle, then you can plug those lines. Basically, locking the fork into the engaged position would make it as if your axle was a non-disconnect.

If you read his post, he referenced/quoted someone else who posted in your thread.

If you go the route of sliding the fork over to "permanently" engage your front axle, then you can plug those lines. Basically, locking the fork into the engaged position would make it as if your axle was a non-disconnect.

i know he was quoting someone else but if i made it so i locked the fork into the engaged position wouldnt i just be in 4wd all the time?

Back