• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj steering

gird123

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,

I have had my xj since October and it is now running ok and sort of ready to wheel. I went wheeling today for the second time and in the first 2 min bent the tie rod in half. I did not have my camera. I removed and beat straight. I need new steering. I'm leaning towards Rusty's. Suggestions? Thoughts? I would consider building myself if it was easy. I'm just learning.

nate

id stay away from rustys..

check out the vendors here. there are alot of options out there. i plan on buying serious offroads over the knuckle steering kit when i have the funds.

i know everybody hates rustys but i have their steering not the otk but standard version and with 6.5 lift i have zero bumpsteer. rustys cannot control the quality of the tie rods as they are manufactured by others. so basically all he is providing is tubing. I would recommend it BUT would invest in jcr's tierod spacer to control roll on the pass tie rod also i put the drag link in the vertical position to help control roll as well.

i know everybody hates rustys but i have their steering not the otk but standard version and with 6.5 lift i have zero bumpsteer. rustys cannot control the quality of the tie rods as they are manufactured by others. so basically all he is providing is tubing. I would recommend it BUT would invest in jcr's tierod spacer to control roll on the pass tie rod also i put the drag link in the vertical position to help control roll as well.

i had the same unit but with different results(5.5 lift short arm). never bent it, but alot of bumpsteer and felt like it wandered a bit. havent heard much about the tierod spacers though...

to the o.p. about zj steering, you would probably be fine going with this if your rig is stock hieght or has a small lift. you can find them on forums/c.l./j.y all the time. i have a zj with 7' lift ,well beaten on, with the stock steering and it has held up better than expected

Serious off-road has a kit like the JCR, but less money IIRC.
I would say if you can pick up the ZJ tie rod at a JY or CL for cheap, go for it.
I went with ironman4x4fab tie rod. The TRE's are basically 1-ton but with stock tape so you do not have to rearm or drill/install tapered insert.
If your pass. side TRE on your drag link is good, just get a new TRE for the pitman arm side along with a nice solid tierod and go for it.

I just finished with the ZJ upgrade using this thread as a guide...
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/zj-tie-rod-upgrade-22717/

I decided to go with new parts, and was out the door for under $70. I could have paid $16 for used parts from the JY, but I had just finished doing a wheel bearing for someone and had $75 sitting in the slush fund :D. I am sure the more die-hard wheelers here can give better advice, but for my 8-12 times of mild wheeling per year, and the small lift occurring in a couple weeks, the ZJ is adequate.

Ok, so what year grand cherokee tie rod will work with my 2001 xj, and should I grab the drag link? Are they beefier?

:rtm:

Get the following parts for a 95 Grand Cherokee with a V8
Moog part numbers
ES3096 Tie rod end (short) 21.99 @ Autozone
DS1312 Long tie Rod 34.99 @ Autozone
ES2079S Adjustment Sleeve 15.99 @ Auto zone

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the rustys under the knuckle system.

It works, and is stronger than the stock tie rod.

But, it has a lot of tie rod roll, and on mine at least, the rod hit the trac bar bolt head and really killed the turning radius. I ended up doing some mods to the bar and put in a new bolt with a thinner head to regain turnign radius.

I still will be replacing it when I put a lift on.

:rtm:

Quote:
Get the following parts for a 95 Grand Cherokee with a V8
Moog part numbers
ES3096 Tie rod end (short) 21.99 @ Autozone
DS1312 Long tie Rod 34.99 @ Autozone
ES2079S Adjustment Sleeve 15.99 @ Auto zone

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,

I have had my xj since October and it is now running ok and sort of ready to wheel. I went wheeling today for the second time and in the first 2 min bent the tie rod in half. I did not have my camera. I removed and beat straight. I need new steering. I'm leaning towards Rusty's. Suggestions? Thoughts? I would consider building myself if it was easy. I'm just learning.

nate

Don't invest into more stock parts, just go with Currie and be done with it. It's beef and keeps the factory setup. Fully bolt in. Worth every penny.

Sorry i can't afford currie right now($400).

I feel like my driver side tire is wobbling now. Like the tie rod is flexing a little.

I did pick up a zj tie rod at pic n pull for $6. How can i tell if the ends are good/bad. I can move them pretty easy. Wow is it beefy!

Thank you,

Nate

you should be able to rotate the ends freely, but there should not be any lateral (side to side) or in and out movement.

I'm not very good at this. Before i replaced the tierod i had a pretty bad wobble, but i assumed it was my shot tires. I installed the new tierod and adjusted the toe in to 1/8 inch and had the tires replaced, and now i'm getting a small wobble at 40 and big wobble at 60. It was bad enough at 60 i had to hit the brakes pretty hard. Now i'm nervous to go ovor 50. Could it be the new tires or is there other things i should check? I also just replaced the u-joint on the driver side.

007Small.jpg

I tried to post a pic

002Small.jpg

Last edited:
Back