• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2002 grand Cherokee block in 1991 xj?

supertubesocks

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, so I grenades the bottomed end in my 91 Cherokee and I found a 2002 grand Cherokee 4.0 with low miles for cheap. Is this a bolt in swap? Or will I need to do a head swap also? Thanks. I'll post carnage pics later.
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

If you use the late mod. head, you'll have to use the late mod. exhaust manifold too. Port pattern is different.
You'll have to use the '91 flywheel/flex plate, distributor, and all the sensors.
Don't remember if the '91 had a knock sensor. If it does, you'll have to drill the boss on the late block to accept the sensor.
If you use the late head/intake combo, you'll have to mod the early accessory drive brackets to fit(I think it's the power steering pump mount with the problem)

If you do swap the head, list the '02 head for sale here as a replacement for somebody's '00 0331 head that popped. Should sell quick.

they did change. H8PVMNT re-machined one (out of a 99 or 01 WJ, I forget) to fit in his 96.

Back