• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where and how did you mount your Magnefine filter?

Where and how did you mount your Magnefine filter?

Major OEM's recommend adding 10,000 miles to your service cycle with the use of the Magnefine filter

Huh? Really? What?

Oh, I remember seeing that as a Dealer Option... IIRC, the performance package code is BS, and also includes a Tornado Airflow straighter to increase MPGs. :roll:

You'd be better off replacing the trans fluid per the maintenance schedule.

Sorry about the lippy response, I bet you actually bought the thing. :D

Well, the best option I can think of will be on the lower radiator support. Find someplace where you can nicely interrupt the hoses. I guess I'd use the return line.

-Ron

Huh? Really? What?

Oh, I remember seeing that as a Dealer Option... IIRC, the performance package code is BS, and also includes a Tornado Airflow straighter to increase MPGs. :roll:

You'd be better off replacing the trans fluid per the maintenance schedule.

Sorry about the lippy response, I bet you actually bought the thing. :D

Well, the best option I can think of will be on the lower radiator support. Find someplace where you can nicely interrupt the hoses. I guess I'd use the return line.

-Ron

Yeah, I’m a little overkill when it comes to preventative maintenance. I have a spin on coolant filter and transmission filter on my Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel. The Magnefine filter seems like a simple solution for prolonging the life of the transmission. Finding a good mounting place can always be tricky. I run Amsoil ATF and I still do a drain and fill every 10,000 miles or so. I only put about 3,000 miles on her every year.

Yeah, I’m a little overkill when it comes to preventative maintenance. I have a spin on coolant filter and transmission filter on my Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel. The Magnefine filter seems like a simple solution for prolonging the life of the transmission. Finding a good mounting place can always be tricky. I run Amsoil ATF and I still do a drain and fill every 10,000 miles or so. I only put about 3,000 miles on her every year.

Nothing wrong with filters, I have a spin on coolant filter in my other car but I haven't been able to find a spot for it on the XJ. Where did you mount yours?

Get used to people around here telling you simple preventative maintenance is a waste ha.

Nothing wrong with filters, I have a spin on coolant filter in my other car but I haven't been able to find a spot for it on the XJ. Where did you mount yours?

Get used to people around here telling you simple preventative maintenance is a waste ha.

Here's the one on my truck. I don't have a coolant filter for my XJ yet, but it's on the to-do list.

30939066324_large.jpg

30939066220_large.jpg

Pictured is the Baldwin Filter B5134 rated at 45um absolute, and 20um at 50%

I will be changing to the Donaldson ECF4085 Coolant Filter which is rated at 14um absolute

Here's the Trany Filter:

30939066436_large.jpg

Baldwin Filter BT839
~22um at 50% and 35um at 95%

I would also like to install an Amsoil 2 micron by-pass system on the Cherokee. Here's the one on my truck:

14842_1264399331927_1288071165_786768_6634506_n.jpg

14842_1264399211924_1288071165_786765_3412107_n.jpg

Last edited:

That was simply not my point.

Most people don't even do the basics, let alone follow the factory recommended maintenance schedule for their type of driving.

My take on maintenance is that you follow the factory recommended schedule. When you have the vehicle down, you also cover the steering, suspension, and drive line. You always check the belts, and look for leaks. The idea is to fix anything which is worn before you have to fix it on a lonely road, in the dark, during a snow storm, with just a wind breaker on.

I so no value in filtering the coolant. If you have a piece with a part number in there, it's too late. Filters do not remove chemical contaminants, which is why you change your coolant.

Same with tranny fluid. Adding a filter inline with the tranny may clean the fluid a bit better, but won't clean the filter in the tranny, and it sure won't fix burnt tranny fluid. Infact, it may mask a problem because you didn't drop the pan and inspect the filter and pan for parts/clutch fragments.

-Ron

Filters do not remove chemical contaminants, which is why you change your coolant.

False

Same with tranny fluid. Adding a filter inline with the tranny may clean the fluid a bit better, but won't clean the filter in the tranny, and it sure won't fix burnt tranny fluid. Infact, it may mask a problem because you didn't drop the pan and inspect the filter and pan for parts/clutch fragments.

Those of us who have coolant filters, trany filters, and oil by-pass filters change those too. The OE screen catches the big stuff and the aftermarket filter does more cleaning. Add high powered magnets and your oil/trany fluid is even that much cleaner.

That was simply not my point.

Most people don't even do the basics, let alone follow the factory recommended maintenance schedule for their type of driving.

My take on maintenance is that you follow the factory recommended schedule. When you have the vehicle down, you also cover the steering, suspension, and drive line. You always check the belts, and look for leaks. The idea is to fix anything which is worn before you have to fix it on a lonely road, in the dark, during a snow storm, with just a wind breaker on.

I so no value in filtering the coolant. If you have a piece with a part number in there, it's too late. Filters do not remove chemical contaminants, which is why you change your coolant.

-Ron

On another forum there are a few old tymers who have taken care of their cars since new(we are talking 1987 model cars). One guy still has the factor air in his spare tire, also for these guys money is no object when it comes to their cars. They recommend spin on coolant filters highly.

The posted about adding a coolant filter and cut it open after its service life. You would be amazed at what was trapped in that filter and that was on a perfectly maintained car since the day it rolled off the line. It never missed a scheduled service or was given subpar coolant/parts.

Adding a transmission filter is not a band aid to mask a problem or solve burnt fluid, the factory screen(not a filter) catches only the biggest of stuff. Why not add a filter that can catch the smaller stuff, where is the negative?

On a motorcycle forum it is highly recommended to add high powered magnets to your oil filter to trap as much junk in there as possible also.

If you can filter it without any down side, why not I say.

On another forum there are a few old tymers who have taken care of their cars since new(we are talking 1987 model cars). One guy still has the factor air in his spare tire, also for these guys money is no object when it comes to their cars. They recommend spin on coolant filters highly.

The posted about adding a coolant filter and cut it open after its service life. You would be amazed at what was trapped in that filter and that was on a perfectly maintained car since the day it rolled off the line. It never missed a scheduled service or was given subpar coolant/parts.

Adding a transmission filter is not a band aid to mask a problem or solve burnt fluid, the factory screen(not a filter) catches only the biggest of stuff. Why not add a filter that can catch the smaller stuff, where is the negative?

On a motorcycle forum it is highly recommended to add high powered magnets to your oil filter to trap as much junk in there as possible also.

If you can filter it without any down side, why not I say.

I've had the opportunity to deal with a few collectors. They want everything original. No extra filters for those folks.

I've taken apart many an engine, and quite a few transmissions ( a few I toasted myself while racing ;) )...

The biggest enemy of the Engine is not bad coolant, which tends to corrode and block the radiator with mineral deposits, but cruddy oil from blowby and buildup of carbon deposits due to a lack of regular oil changes. These engines suffered because someone didn't give a hoot about changing out the oil, it stopped lubricating properly, and the oil filter stopped doing it's job because it was clogged.

Automatic transmissions are one of the cleanest pieces in the car even though most never see a fluid change. Even with a filter clogged full of clutch pieces, you will be hard pressed to find a galled bearing surface, and everything inside is spotless.

I started my response (post #4) with saying adding this trans filter is a waste of money, and that regular maintenance of the AW4 will be more cost effective than adding a fancy filter with B.S claims in the add (quoted in my post).

Not to be bull headed, but I stand by that claim.

But you are right, an extra filter or two probably won't hurt...

It probably won't help either. ;)

-Ron

The guys I was referring to are not collectors really, they run their cars and some are daily driven. My point was, these guys are meticulous about their cars upkeep and have no budget. They feel running these type of filters will prolong the life of their vehicles with no downside to be had. If you can pull contaminates from the transmission fluid or coolant with a $20 add on filter, why not?

Seeing these filters cut open and all the junk that is inside of them makes me see it as a worth while addition. It is not an excuse to not change your fluid or to try and mask another problem, just an added layer of protection.

This will blow your mind ;) , I run the same type of magnefine filter on my power steering fluid.

I certainly am not telling anyone what to do with their vehicles, if you don't want a filter that is fine. Plenty of people on honda forums don't bother to change their oil and swear oil changes are a waste of money too, that is the great thing about the internet.

You claim that a filter can remove chemical contaminants.

Produce the white paper bro, and I'll take it back. Changing PH level is the largest issue with coolant. Show me a filter which can change a coolant's PH level back to normal, and back it with scientific data.

-Ron

No, that was not my claim. You said,
Filters do not remove chemical contaminants, which is why you change your coolant.

I said "false", that is not why you change your coolant. I change my coolant because replenishing coolant additives extends the coolant’s life and protects your engine against corrosion, cavitation erosion, scale deposits and inhibitor drop.

Benefits for a coolant filter:
1. Prolongs the life of the heater core
2. Prolongs the life of the water pump
3. Prolongs the life of the radiator and hoses
4. The by-pass filter acts as a cooling system
5. Most Important for me: It reduces downtime!

Here’s a pic of my XJ’s overflow bottle soon after I bought it. This is another example of the benefits of a coolant filter. I noticed that the coolant in my overflow reservoir looked pretty fowl. So I decided to get out the shop (wet) Vac and clean it up. In order to reach the bottom of the reservoir, I added a few attachments.

33846874047_large.jpg

Once I got down to the bottom, my Shop Vac was losing suction. So I pulled out the vacuum tube and found this at the bottom.

33846874043_large.jpg

As you can see, this sludge is nice and pasty.

33846874044_large.jpg

Lastly, I finally got her clean.

33846874042_large.jpg

Last edited:
They also have spin on diesel coolant filters with slow release chemical additives. It is not a replacement for changing coolant but it will help to make sure your coolant is at its most effectiveness during its life.

Seeing these filters cut open and all the junk that is inside of them makes me see it as a worth while addition. It is not an excuse to not change your fluid or to try and mask another problem, just an added layer of protection.

“Field tests returns have noted that 40% of used water filters evaluated contained moderate amounts of contaminant and greater than 10% contained heavy amounts. In addition, a survey of over 11,600 engines operating with and without water filters noted a
3 to 1 reduction in water pump seal leakage between fleets using filters and those which do not.” (SAE Technical Paper
Series 881270).

They also have spin on diesel coolant filters with slow release chemical additives. It is not a replacement for changing coolant but it will help to make sure your coolant is at its most effectiveness during its life.

Yes, that is true. “Coolant filters are designed to maintain the proper chemical balance and reduce contaminants in the engine cooling system.” http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/lube/coolant.html

No, that was not my claim. You said,

I said "false", that is not why you change your coolant. I change my coolant because replenishing coolant additives extends the coolant’s life and protects your engine against corrosion, cavitation erosion, scale deposits and inhibitor drop....

1. Prolongs the life of the heater core
2. Prolongs the life of the water pump
3. Prolongs the life of the radiator and hoses

You change your coolant for all these reasons. Regular coolant changes at the intervals recommended by the manufacture will reduce maintenance of the 3 points you listed above.

dieselenthusiast said:
I change my coolant because replenishing coolant additives extends the coolant’s life and protects your engine against corrosion, cavitation erosion, scale deposits and inhibitor drop.
Either you change your coolant, or you add additives, or you do both?

Since coolant is part glycol, part water, and part additives, most anything will grow in it where it puddles up. You don't find that crud in the engine, you find it in the bottom of coolant bottles.

Adding additives to coolant reminds me of the stuff they add to boiler systems to keep the PH in check...

iwannadie said:
This will blow your mind , I run the same type of magnefine filter on my power steering fluid.
You Sir are a neat freek :D

True though about styles of maintenance. When synthetic came out, there was a guy I knew who put on 100K (from new) before changing oil (just filters at regular interals). He said the oil was fine because the MFG claimed it would be so :sure: I wouldn't do it...

I just noticed your handle as I typed it... There is a story there somewhere...

-Ron

True though about styles of maintenance. When synthetic came out, there was a guy I knew who put on 100K (from new) before changing oil (just filters at regular interals). He said the oil was fine because the MFG claimed it would be so :sure: I wouldn't do it...

I just noticed your handle as I typed it... There is a story there somewhere...

-Ron

Speaking of not changing oil, I was at the local Oreilys and some old guy and I noticed the price of a case of oil and he started commenting. He said oil never goes bad, that I should just start draining my oil running it though some filters and dumping it back in. Oil according to him only gets dirty and can be reused indefinitely just as long as you pour i through some paper filters.

Ha my name, it has a story but nothing exciting. Way back when first person shooter PC games came out I wanted to play online(and LAN) and needed a name. I knew I would suck since I never played online and wanted a suitable name. I figured I could take the sting out me sucking by wanting to die, how fun would it be to brag about killing the guy who wanted to die. Then, I got really good and seen it as humiliating for them to be killed by the guy who wanted to die, it just stuck and now more than 15 years later here we are.

Back