• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bought new to me/used Aussie, opinions on condition of it

Breezio69

NAXJA Forum User
Title pretty much says it all... I paid $150 for it. During the exchange I was freezing my you know whats off and I just peeked in the box to make sure the springs and pins were all there but when I got home and cleaned the gear oil off the locker I became weary of whats in the pictures...

Would you run it or wouldnt you?

Do you think I could use the warranty? (original sale date is on the paperwork with locker, March 3 2011)

_DSC1311.jpg

_DSC1312.jpg

_DSC1313.jpg

The rounded edges and small chips in the cogs arent a concern? Ive researched a little bit on it and came up with a few threads concerning this, but none were backed by pictures to compare.

Also picture #1 shows the worst of the 4 pieces, im assuming its worse because of the cut out for the c-clip and having 5 or so less teeth than the full.....

Last edited:
I bought a used no slip (similar unit) in an axle that did not work. Was a little worse than yours, but not much. Would click and slip and clunk just driving up my paved driveway at 3 mph. That said, your might work fine for a while, but lunchbox lockers are essentially wear items.

I bought a used no slip (similar unit) in an axle that did not work. Was a little worse than yours, but not much. Would click and slip and clunk just driving up my paved driveway at 3 mph. That said, your might work fine for a while, but lunchbox lockers are essentially wear items.

Yeah well thats what im worried about is this kid was just like "Oh its wearing out on me so im gonna sell it cheap" instead of just scrapping it or trying to warranty it (as it was in less than a year)

Looks fine to me also. Slap it in there and see what happens.

buy a spring and pin kit for it and run it. your going to have some wear on it from it ratcheting.

OK, well ill give it a try. It was worth asking and at least getting a few opinions on before putting a $150 locker into an axle im into over triple, between new disk brakes and harware to run it....

also....

say it fails, do you think Aussie would honor a second party warranty? The guy before me wrote all the tolerances down on the back of the manual (warranty page) and it was well within spec... after all.... its only 8 months old, and supposedly by thier claims "one hasnt failed yet" knowing it was in tolerance and worn out they'd have to claim it right?

Looks like what?
You have two metal pieces that are constantly in contact with only gear oil between them. What do you think happens to these things? Would you hesitate to drive your car because the ring and pinion got shiney on their wear surfaces?

Looks like what?
You have two metal pieces that are constantly in contact with only gear oil between them. What do you think happens to these things? Would you hesitate to drive your car because the ring and pinion got shiney on their wear surfaces?

OK guy... Ive just put a lot of time and a few bucks into trying to build a replacement for my D35. I had a concern on the rounding of the teeth or if they were TOO worn...

I'll tell ya though, the ideal thing I'd like to happen is spend a day putting it under my Jeep and go to drive down the road and have it slip every 50 feet :rolleyes:

I started having issues with mine loading up and popping while turning. I pulled it out and it looked like that.

I'd TRY for the warranty first. If that fails, slap it in there and see how it does.

He's building a replacement for his 35. Not putting it in his 35.

OK guy... Ive just put a lot of time and a few bucks into trying to build a replacement for my D35. I had a concern on the rounding of the teeth or if they were TOO worn...

I'll tell ya though, the ideal thing I'd like to happen is spend a day putting it under my Jeep and go to drive down the road and have it slip every 50 feet :rolleyes:

No problem, i understand. I'm just confused by the people that have responded with "i had one that looked like that and it killed my grandmother". Obviously the piece is used but aside from a few teeth that are chipped here and there it looks like pretty normal wear. Can someone be more specific about what they're seeing that looks so catastrophic?

Besides, the point of a lunchbox locker is that it won't take you more than a few hours to stick in there ;)

No problem, i understand. I'm just confused by the people that have responded with "i had one that looked like that and it killed my grandmother". Obviously the piece is used but aside from a few teeth that are chipped here and there it looks like pretty normal wear. Can someone be more specific about what they're seeing that looks so catastrophic?

Besides, the point of a lunchbox locker is that it won't take you more than a few hours to stick in there ;)

Okay, initiating spoon feeding hehehe...! When on the throttle, the load is transmitted through the teeth engaging. As you can see, about half of those teeth show small chips and wear. So now, when you get on the gas, all the load is transmitted by fewer teeth which will cause them to begin wearing and chipping faster. When the wear and chipping gets to a certain point, the teeth will no longer engage all the time, but ramp up over each other and slip.

From my experience with several of these, the locker pictured is close to that point. In a front axle you won't notice it as much because when in 4wd you tend to be in rough terrain and a little slip here or there can easily be overlooked.

But to your point, yes, that does look like normal wear, which is why these cost 1/3 of an ARB. They work fine for a while, then wear out.

Since the OP already bought it, its a no brainer to stick it in and try to get some use out of it.

Back