• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do I have death wobble? (XJ Newbie here)

outracing

NAXJA Forum User
Okay everyone, I have a 1999 xj. I have a 4.5'' suspension lift under it. When I am traveling at 45mph or more, even the slightest little bump in the road will cause the jeep to shake violently! It jars your bones it is so bad... I didn't notice it until I put the lift under it. It is the "Budget lift" with the springs out of the front of an old F150 and rear leaf packs from a Dakota. I do have a SYE kit, and a cv style drive shaft that was the front drive shaft from another 99 xj. Any input on how to solve this problem would be great.

I should also point out that I jacked up the front of the jeep, when I grab the tire I feel no play in anything, I also have no slop in the steering wheel. The shaking feels like it is from the driver side... Thanks for any help!

Yes. You have death wobble. Have someone move the wheel back and forth while you look at suspension parts. It could be caused by 100 different things. Check out the threads at the bottom of this thread.

Make sure ur track bar at both ends are good and tight as well as the bushings. Also check the control arm bushings. Check all you steering end joints the way the above post said to. Make sure your wheels are balanced. Make sure you toe in and outis set correctly. Also make sure your alignment is correct.

Once you eliminate all those is should be able to do 100 mph wiyhou worry. Keep in mind its a hit or miss to pin point the correct issue. It only took a year to get mine fixed and then a month later it came back even worse due to my trak bar bushings were shot.

Was following a XJ on the interstate about a month ago, and he got the death wobble going real good. Just had to grin, and well, it brought back memories.

Thanks everyone... I'll let you know how it turns out. Until I get it figured, my daily driver XJ will be sitting in the garage. I have heard of death wobble, but I never new how scary it was until I experienced it...

Did you reset your castor angle? Based on tire size and lift height, 4.5 in lift on 33s could be between 6 to 7 deg from what I've been reading.

Back