• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power/Ground to PDC relays

chameleo78

NAXJA Forum User
This is kind of a continuation from this old thread. What I've found is that when it is warm my Jeep starts perfectly normally; and I mean warm outside or having been run for a while so everything is warm in the engine bay. This made my problem very difficult to diagnose over the summer as it wasn't happening...

Other things I've learned is that the clicking sounds I hear when I turn my ignition to the on position are some of the relays in the PDC. From what I've been able to observe the Aux fan relay clicks almost every time I turn the key (again, when things are cold), the fuel pump relay will click often, and I've occasionally heard the auto-shut-down relay click as well. (The other relays in the PDC may have also clicked a few times but I've not been able to verify individual ones.) I've ruled out the actual relays being bad as they have been swapped from socket to socket with no difference in behavior. What I'm hoping is that there is a common electrical connection (ground) on all of these sockets.

I've cleaned up the main ground from the battery going to the block and to the body. There is a secondary ground that comes off of the back of the valve cover that I've cleaned up the end attached to the firewall and checked the other end with a meter and it is good. Everyone kept talking about the grounds underneath the coil; are these closer to the rear of the vehicle on the side of the block?

All advice welcome at this point.

The only other symptom I can think of is that sometimes when the Jeep first starts it will idle normally but the tach reads 0 RPM. If I blip the throttle the tach will then jump up to where the RMP's are and will return to normal from that point forward.

Back