• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Things to Do with Oil Pan Off

srpope80

NAXJA Forum User
If anyone has any other things I should do/check with the oil pan off, I would greatly appreciate it. I don't want to pull this again.

2001 Jeep XJ 4.0 Limited 4x4.

Thanks!

Ha Ha! A bit open ended there aren't ya?

What DID you pull it off for in the first place.

Go ahead and pull the head off and put in new piston rings, all new gaskets and seals, rework the head, new crank bearings and rod bearings and oil pump. Then you'd have a fresh engine! :)

I pulled it off to narrow down a ticking noise, which I think is my timing chain.... Found a ton of slop in it as I can move it with my fingers up and down and when I turn the crank, I can see it "tighten" up and makes a click under manned power....

I digress; I just was wondering if anyone would do the oil pump, rear main, etc with the pan off.

125,000 miles.

ticking is probly loose driveplate bolts, piston slap or a sticky lifter, basicly its a 4.0 they make noises

Rob, are you sure? Pistons have full skirts, etc, and the timing chain is flopping around with a ton of play....

Back