• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What would you do?

ProJeep

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, so I was just curious to how everyone would build a general multi purpose xj? Kind of like a expedition vehicle, something that you can take camping, go up dont muddy washouts, light rocks, take to the beach ect.....

My Parts list would consist of:

-A xj
-6.5in La lift kit
-Some type of OTK steering upgrade
-Limited slip rear diff? maybe a locker?
-33in mud terrains
-upgraded power steering box
-roof rack
-auxillary lights
-aftermarket front/rear bumpers
-Cb
-aftermarket fenders (bush crackers?)
-some type of onboard air

A stocker fits the bill for your wheeling list. a 6.5" long arm lift for beach cruising, camping, and rocky roads might be overkill, but hey, it's your build.
LSD rear works good at the beach, a full spool will paddle tires can work against you in some situations.

6.5" lift seems a bit extreme for a simple all around rig. But I will attest to the fact that the long arms work really well both on and off road.

33" tires will take you just about anywhere you will want to go. I run 32" and have yet to need a recovery.

At least one locker. Preferably selectable like ARB.

OTK steering is probably not needed, use the money elsewhere.

The stock steering box will do fine as long as it's in good condition.

A roof rack is a push.... It will give you a ton of extra storage but your MPG will suffer if your rig is a daily driver. I have one and use it for camping gear as we are a family of four.

Aftermarket bumpers can be cool. You can mount a winch if you like. But they get expensive real quick. A Hanson bumper will run you $700.00, but it's one of the best. I've seen some incredible home made bumpers here too. It's a choice you'll have to make.

I have the Detours Tailbone so I could run the spare out back and free up cargo space. Unfortunately it is such a good product they had to temporarily stop taking orders until they get caught up.

I kept the stock bumpers front and rear as I like the factory look. You will however need recovery points front/rear. Tow hooks are an option for the front, or a receiver hitch. The Tailbone has D-rings for rear recovery. At least that way you can beg someone with a winch to help you out or try and use a Hi-Lft as a come-along.

Fender flares are another toss-up. They do look cool and will help you comply with vehicle code if that's an issue. But they get expensive and don't always stay in one piece.

CB is one option. HAM is another/better option.

On board air is a must in my opinion. I have an ARB set up for my air locker as well as outputs front and rear for airing up tires. There are a few other reliable set-ups out there that don't cost as much.

One thing you missed in your list is under armor......

The stock gas tank is plastic and is in a vulnerable spot if you do ANY type of rock crawling. Get a skid. I bought a custom made one with a hitch from someone over at Pirate 4X4, but I don't think he makes them anymore.

Rock rails are an absolute must. I think that was the second thing I put on my Jeep. They will keep you from bashing up your rockers. If you take a big enough hit without them, your door may not open and/or close. Make them if you are able. If not you can buy new ones for around $250-$300. Keep an eye on the for sale section or craigslist for used ones.

Lastly, have a look around here:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/

What's your budget like? If you don't need to run a winch, you can definately get by on front and rear 2" hitch receivers (i've gotten them used for $25 - $50 before) and place a D-ring in for recovery purposes.

If you can get by in your state without being hassled for fender flares..don't spend the money on any.

If this jeep will see daily driving, definately consider a selectable rear locker as opposed to a full spool or something

Back