• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulling leaf out of leaf pack?

kaden.

NAXJA Forum User
I have a quick question about pulling a leaf from my leaf packs. I recently put a 8.8 in the rear of my jeep with 4.5 RE leaf pack with a 2.5 shackle and relocation brackets i was shooting for somewhere around 6.5 lift after everything was settled. Its now been about a year and the rear still sits quite a bit higher than i would like (like 2 inches or so). Just wondering if it is better to pull a longer leaf or some shorter ones? Or is it a bad idea altogether. Im sure this has been covered but im sure you all know the search on here isnt the best. if you could even point me in the right direction that would be great.
Thanks.

i have a yj shackle conversion and 6.5 rustys leaves i pulled the two bottom short leaves out and am starting to distort the leaf packs but it could be rustys superior craftsmanship thats causing it i love the ride nice and stable on road and soft offroad

Pulling out the second to the last leaf should soften things up for you and allow the leaf packs to straighten out some. Not causing to many problems. It could cause more axle wrap as they soften though, breaking things if your wild on the skinny peddle.

I would switch to the 1.5" lift shackle first and see where you're at. Taking leaves out will only shorten the life of your springs.

I did this with a stock pack while taking the shorts out to soften it and had an extra pair to throw on top. So when the pinion points up from axle wrap the top will push down behind and the bottom will push up in front. Plus the bottom should still add some overload support. But I did this yesterday so I'll see how they work out. Also I already have an extra main in there so it's still way stronger than the stock pack but still sagged with the dirt bike and carrier on the back previously. The best ride was a bone stock pack (like butter) but it was inverting sitting in the driveway. So the extra main was still decent but could be softer so I'll see today. I know you guys have aftermarket packs but hopefully this should relate. By the way this is 4in of lift with shackles
downsize-44.jpg

i have a yj shackle conversion and 6.5 rustys leaves i pulled the two bottom short leaves out and am starting to distort the leaf packs but it could be rustys superior craftsmanship thats causing it i love the ride nice and stable on road and soft offroad

So what overall lift is yours? And did it make it flex a good bit better?

i wouldnt take any out of re packs. i havent had good luck with them in unmodified form. taking leafs out will only weaken them and cause them to distort sooner.

Back