• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 XJ AW-4 to AX-15 Tranny swap question

ScienceguyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
We're swapping out my 01 XJ's AW-4 with my AX-15 out of my old 98 XJ. We've got pretty much everything done and installed and have taken it out for a spin. Everything feels great, the AX-15 is shifting fine. When we come to a stop and put in the clutch the RPMs fall really low and the engine tries to stall or does stall. My mechanic buddy who is working on it thinks it's something with the idle air control. The check engine light is on but the only codes are phantom ones from it not finding the AW-4, there are no engine specific codes. My 98 XJ used to do something similar when wheeling and sometimes in traffic, it too would try to stall when putting in the clutch while coming to a stop. We tried the ECM from the 98 XJ but it can't run the engine properly.

Anyone have any ideas? I still have to search for old discussions but if anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated.

Also, does anyone know if the bracket for the tcase shift linkage on the body is mounted in a different spot from a manual to an auto or if it is a different bracket all together? We can't seem to get the linkage to line up with the bracket on the body.

Thanks guys!

Back