• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possible idea for half doors..

jmeti000

NAXJA Forum User
I have been kicking around whether or not to get tube doors, or fab up a set of half doors, but as difficult as I am I really like the thought of not halving to store my doors, lift them on and off all the time, and I also like the idea of having solid windows that I dont hafta unzip/snap. Plus, if im stuck on the road and it starts pouring down rain It would be really nice to have the top half of the doors with me to throw on and stay dry, vs a cold, wet drive home.

My idea (of which I know will be fine) was to rip out all the guts from a set of doors, cut them to the desired shape and weld in sheet metal to seal them up, new door handles, and side mirrors.

The windows is where it gets tricky. I have this idea that I can keep the original glass windows and without the regulators and motors they should be able to slide up and down. I can drill the glass at the top (thinking middle) and put a small handle of sort to assist with lifting and lowering the glass, and keep it from falling to far down into the door. The part I havent figured out yet is how to keep it up. I was thinking I could find some kind of lever with a spring in it that will support the window while in the rolled up position...but this portion is still in the planning process.

Also, to allow the glass to pass through the top and bottom welded in sheet metal, I would need to cut a slit in the top and bottom portion of the door. Im figuring I can get a strip of rubber or something cushy to fill it when the top half of the door is off.

Has anyone tried anything similar to this? From those with half doors is the effort worth it? For those with tube doors is it as much of a pain as Im thinkin it is, or am I making a mountain out of a mole hill?

Thanks,
Jmeti000

I'd be curious to see what you have planned. Drawings maybe? The only problems I see are that you wont be able to cut much of the door and still conceal it inside whats left. That window is pretty tall. I don't think you can drill tempered glass either. Otherwise sounds like you have it figured out....

I think he was talking about making a removable cutout that could be reattached and still use the stock glass but hide the glass inside the half that stays on the rig. Right?

Ok, here is a quick sketch of what I have in mind. The glass will go up and down with both halves on. In order for the top half to come off, the glass will need to be in the up position and will come off with the top half (the lever will keep it in position so it doesnt fall out the bottom). I didnt include the lever in the sketch because I havent thought that part through enough. As for drilling the glass, Ive heard it is possible with a diamond bit, but if not Im not opposed to using some higher grade plexiglass (just want something that wont scratch with the first branch I hit) and then cut it the same shape as the window.

doorproject-1.png

I think I would just rather have tube doors with quick pins in the hinges to put my stock ones back on. If it's looks like rain then put the stock doors on. Nice idea but it sounds like slot of work with little payoff.

i have been caught in the rain with my half doors, and it really isnt that bad.

truth. mines a 2 door and my left shoulder gets misted. cargo area gets wet tho. but i dont have any windows back thur either.

Back