• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine options

jeepfreak1020

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so the next big mod that will be going on with the jeep is a new engine. My plan is to rebuild/swap around April or May. Depending on Money. At the same time I will also be rebuild the tranny. Both have almost 200k on them and the engine is starting to knock. Im looking to spend no more then 6k for engine and tranny rebuild.

What are my options for engines? How much would it cost to drop straight off at a shop and have them rebuild it and stroke it to a 4.6? Would it be worth it to do this?

My other option I keep looking at is buying the engine straight from Mopar, there 4.7 long block thats a straight swap in. Comes built and ready to drop in.

Another is I could just buy the 4.6 block and build it myself. My buddy will be helping me and hes a engine guru. Hes built Nova and Camaro engine. So im have no problem with building it myself.

Is it even worth getting a stroker? Or should I just rebuilt my 4.0 that I have now and call it good?

Last,
What am I looking at to drop the tranny off at a place and have them straight rebuild it as well? If I can keep the cost of the engine and tranny down then I may look at getting a Atlas while everything is out. But not that big of a problem. Im more focused on the other 2. Just trying to do some research here.

What kind of tranny? If it's the AW4, then why re-build? Are you having problems with it? They are notorious for going a LONG ways before having problems. My AW4 is at 285k with no problems yet. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

To get prices, call local shops. As to whether or not a stroker is worth it, it's only a few hundred above a rebuild if you have yours built. Basically all you're doing is a rebuild plus some machine work...is the extra horsepower and torque worth it for you?

What kind of tranny? If it's the AW4, then why re-build? Are you having problems with it? They are notorious for going a LONG ways before having problems. My AW4 is at 285k with no problems yet. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Yes I have the AW4. But If Im pulling the engine, im going to pull the tranny and get it rebuilt while im at it. If it goes out later down the road I dont want to have to pull everything back out to rebuild the tranny. Rather do it all at once

One word:

Don't waste your time and money on a stroker when a v8 is what you really want.

:wave:

Well yes, but thats a whole other can or worms. Then I totaly need a different tranny lol. I would like to put in a LS1 though :D

Russpottenger on here builds the best 4.0 engine you can get. PM him for info

Will do!

To get prices, call local shops. As to whether or not a stroker is worth it, it's only a few hundred above a rebuild if you have yours built. Basically all you're doing is a rebuild plus some machine work...is the extra horsepower and torque worth it for you?

Is it really not that much of extra i really gain?

Depending on the build you do, you can see anywhere from 220 hp up to 300+hp. But the cost over a rebuild is fairly minimal. The real extra money comes in based on the quality of the parts used. You can rebuild as a 4.0 with high compression pistons, Hesco aluminum heads, and all kinds of goodies and spend way more than a low budget stroker, but possibly get more power out of it...;)

Read up on jeepstrokers.com

Back