• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help finding wheel bearings for XJ Dana 44

That is for one side. SET 10 is the part number, doesn't mean it is a set of wheel bearings.
But yes, that is the correct part number.

This is only a bearing and seal. It does not include race(s).

I bought a similar set for my trailer. The bearing was ~25, the seal was ~15, the races were ~20 so $60 per wheel...so this pricing is OK, but if you are buying races a bit more.

Rockauto didn't include a seal and the seals were about $11 a piece and their website was not very user friendly when searching for the right seal so for a few extra bucks I ordered them from JT and got the seals included and a headache free ordering process. Thanks for all the help guys.

I think most of the jeep aftermarket outfits stock those.

I've replaced my front wheel bearings before(hub/unit assemblies), but am less familiar with the process for the rear axle. I also have an 87 XJ D44, so I figured it would be okay to ask for any tips in this thread. Ben824, do you have any advice for me?
Thanks in advance.

I've replaced my front wheel bearings before(hub/unit assemblies), but am less familiar with the process for the rear axle. I also have an 87 XJ D44, so I figured it would be okay to ask for any tips in this thread. Ben824, do you have any advice for me?
Thanks in advance.

First take a cutting wheel and cut the old retainer ring and bearing off it does just as good a job and saves the cost of shop time to remove them which can be pricey. Order them from JT Differentials thats where I got mine they include everything you need in one package, the seal, retainer ring, bearing, and race. You will want the SET10 tapered bearings set. If the old races are stuck in the housing you can either rent a slide hammer and removal tool from your local parts store or you can do like I did and run a weld bead on the race itself (to clarify I am telling you to weld the race but DO NOT mistake this for welding the race to the axle) the heat from the welding process will shrink the bearing just enough that it will virtually fall right out. Have a shop press on the new bearings and retainer rings and then reinstall the shafts and you are done!

Hope that helps! If you have any questions or need pictures let me know and I can post some up.

Is the the Dana 44 from an XJ Wagoner the same as the Dana 44 from "normal" xj Dana 44 from 87?

I have a "normal" 1987 cherokee stock Dana 44 and need a wheel bearing

I think they are are only $50 a side at ECGS. Be aware that if the shaft has developed a groove then a seal won't fix it, you need to replace the shaft too. 4WP sells a kit with new shafts and seals for about $300.

4f0b7db1ae0e188318bbf2b65c6c8525.jpg

Here’s what I got about a year ago from Rock Auto. Bearing, seal, race, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be aware that if the shaft has developed a groove then a seal won't fix it

They make "speedi-sleeves" that will fix that!

Back