• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fitting Pre-update 242 to update XJ

BLU-125

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know either:

1. Will the three wire switch for the "Range Lights" work if screwed into an early TC next to the speedo sender and work as it should?

2. If not, does anyone know which two of the three wires in the late loom will work with the early switch?

I have searched and can't quite find what I need. Thank you.

Last edited:
what exact years?

TC is probably 1996........XJ is '98 build.

TC has two wire switch in the rear of TC (next to speedo sender), whilst XJ's TC has three wire switch on top of TC.

When screwed out of housing, later switch protrudes out of its housing about 5mm more than early one.

If noone knows I can live without the lights working, but it would be nice.

BTW, I just swapped speedometer senders.

long as the rear driveshaft fits appropriately (i.e. it's a 96-up TC) it should work. Not sure about the speedo switch, perhaps just build an adapter using pieces of wiring harness from the junkyard?

1996-2001 T-Cases all use the same switch to trigger the dash board indicator lamps. The 231 and the 242 switches are different, and as far as I know do not interchange.

Jeep used to offer an adapter cable to make the 242 indicator switch work in a 231 Cherokee.

There is a thread here on NAXJA that explains how to use the 242 wire harness and where to tap into the original 231 main wire harness to make the dash lights function with a 242.

I am sure if you compared the wire diagrams for both the 231 and the 242 in your JEEP Factory Service Manual, it wouldn't be difficult to find the right wire to tap into.

Back