• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Xj Wont Turn Over

worldwidechance

NAXJA Forum User
For the past few days my cherokee has been starting up a little slow. Then a few days ago it would turn over at all in the morning however it started right up that afternoon. Now it wont turn over at all.

Starter is good
Battery is good
Starter relay is good
Battery terminals are clean

What do I do?

P.S. These problems started happening right after I changed my oil. With the filer being right over the starter I thought that might have something to do with it.

Unless it's been bypassed all 5 speed cars have a clutch safety switch. It prevents you from starting with it in gear without pushing in the clutch.

Turns slow... hmm. Have you tried a different battery?

It should have one. If you can start it in gear then it's bypassed or faulty.

If you KNOW your battery is good then I'd say it was a connection somewhere...

There aren't but so many things it could be. Theres a battery,a power wire, a ground and a starter.

Put a volt meter on the battery and watch the voltage while some one else cranks it. If it drops under 10 volts while cranking the battery is toast, on its last legs. Also turn on just the headlights, if the voltage does not stay over about 12.25 volts or higher the battery is the problem. Batteries act real weird at their end of life, seem OK one second, then not enough juice for the starter the next. You must have at least 10 volts, absolute minimum while cranking.

If it is the battery, be sure to test the alternator, and voltage regulator system with the new battery installed to be sure nothing else is bad, like something that killed the battery. How old is the battery?

Yeah, that's why I now own a very good condition Cherokee that I paid 500 bucks for. The guy assumed his battery was good. It tested good but wouldn't start the Jeep. I put a new battery in it and drove it home.

Try a battery. Take it back to where you bought it from and have them test it and warranty it.

I work where the battery was bought and i know it was tested correctly. im going to bring it to a shop to have it looked at for free tomorrow so i hope they can figure it out

Those battery testers aren't worth a damn. I've worked a long time at autoparts stores.

How hard would it be to warranty out the battery if you work there?!

I found this thread for you. It doesn't much describe your initial symptoms but once I got the Jeep it was showing the exact symptoms you are describing.

It was slow to start. It would start stronger when it was warmer but in the morning when it was cold you could forget it.

I drove the NC, put my battery in it and it fired right up and has been running since.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1050755

Btw, where do you work?

the battery is only 2 years old thats why i doubted it was the problem

If it is 2 years old, and if it is not a DD, in other words, if it is not started and charged daily, but sits for days between use, it very well may be on its last legs, sulphated plates, and can no longer carry the current for starting. If it is not the battery, then it is the probably the starter that is bad.

Thanks for the help so far. It is a daily driver so the battery is being recharged everyday. I went out last night and tried to jump the starter solenoid and i hardly got any sparks. I figured if the solenoid was bad that would start it. Then i tried running a jumper cable right from the + on the battery to the lead to the starter. still hardly any sparks. this leads me to believe that i have a ground issue. Am i right in thinking this or would that be something else?

btw i work at advance auto parts

check your resistances between all you cables and grounds. Bad/corroded cables will give you low current, which you need to get it started. I would venture a guess that some new/cleaned cables will solve a slow start condition. If it doesn't, get a new battery or starter like everyone else has suggested. I bought a midgrade battery form Advance before and it was shot two years later. It's not unheard of. Test the battery for voltage using methods like others have suggested, test the starter, and check you cables/ grounds. These are the major contributors to a slow start condition. I would have to say that someting is going to check out faulty. Replace it and be on your way.

Back