• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust problems

Ianf406

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, today I took off the old headers (they were cracked) and put new ones on. When I got everything hooked back up, I tried to start it and the check engine light is on. When I crank it, it just cranks and makes this "puff" sound... (dont know what it is)... This is the second time I have done headers on an xj but I have no idea what it is... but some ideas would be great, I need it tommrow
smile.gif

the new exhaust does not have a spot for my second 02 sensor so I just unplugged it... could that be part of the problem? I dont think so because I have started it with 0 02 sensors before...

thanks guys

Yep. The O2 senor missing is causing it. Definitely the reason the check engine light.
The computer will be looking for the readings, how much it will affect drivability I don't know.

But it should start....
Maybe another plug came lose during the job. (CPS ?)

Are there relays and fuses for the 02 sensors?

I will get the 02 sensor put in if I can drive it to the exhaust shop :)

just checked and no fuel out of the fuel line...

Start by downloading the Check Engine Light trouble codes, your Jeep is trying to tell you what is wrong.

Back