• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor swap issues

billyjp2

NAXJA Forum User
I just completed a motor swap in my 2001 XJ where I swapped a motor from a 96 into the 01. When I try to start the engine and it coughs and burps before backfiring out the intake manifold. I don't know much about the coil pack ignition, so could this be an easily corrected timing issue? I have also read into this being a bad CPS that could have been hit during the motor swap. Any other suggestions or idea would be appreciated.

If you damaged the CPS it won't start. It would be logical to assume that the camshaft sensor in not indexed correctly.

Google scan tools, o-scopes and tooth picks for more info.

Wait, you own a 2001 now?!

Backfiring out the intake sounds like what my 98 is doing right now. I found it's a head gasket in mine. Did you hear the 96 motor run before putting it in the 2001? I have a compression tester you can borrow anytime if you need it...

are you sure you got the DIS / cam sensor indexed correctly?

Is the drive plate out of the 01 or 96? That could also be the issue

flexplate is the same for 96s and 01s afaik :dunno: I know they redesigned it slightly in the mid 90s but the new one is compatible with both old and new motors, I think it was NVH / durability changes only

Back