• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cage law ?

bails85

NAXJA Forum User
A friend and I were talking about cages and I had mentioned doing an exo/hybrid cage. During the conversation he told me that in California exo/hybrid cages are not street legal. Is this true? I had never heard that before. My jeep will be street legal so I don't want to put a cop magnet on it.

I swear, where do people get this stuff. He must have read it on the internet. :rolleyes:

What's legal or not isn't an issue on what we do. Some states have lift laws, that effect headlight height or bumper height, but that's mostly it. All this DOT approved crap is just that, crap. There are few, if any, parts that you will buy and put on your Jeep that are DOT approved. It's a non-issue.

Ask him where he read that? :)

I swear, where do people get this stuff. He must have read it on the internet. :rolleyes:

Funny how a lot of those same fools have headlights so blue they *are* illegal because they think tinting their headlamps the color the human eye has the hardest time perceiving improves lighting performance.

I would think a nice exocage would get you positive attention unlike those hondas with the space shuttle wings and fart can exhausts you can hear from 3 blocks away.

This thread title sounds like MMA/WWF matchup

X2 on what John said, I got out of a ticket on the way home from the Rubicon because the officer liked my stickers.

A well built exo would not attract unwanted attention,
Now if it looked like a danger to others, you might have some problems.

I asked my friend who told me this where he got his info. He said while at pismo beach there were a few guys in toyotas with exo cages that got pulled over as soon as they hit the street. The officer said that exo cages are not street legal. This is why I asked. I figured if anyone would know it would be the Naxja so cal chapter.

I asked my friend who told me this where he got his info. He said while at pismo beach there were a few guys in toyotas with exo cages that got pulled over as soon as they hit the street. The officer said that exo cages are not street legal. This is why I asked. I figured if anyone would know it would be the Naxja so cal chapter.

My friend's cousin's boyfriend totally drank coke with pop rocks and died!

Are Exo/ hybrid cages legal for ultra 4 stock class vehicles? Ive seen a few that sort of look like a hybrid cage and i was wondering of there were any rules against running more of the tubing on the outside or if it was just a preference?

Funny how a lot of those same fools have headlights so blue they *are* illegal because they think tinting their headlamps the color the human eye has the hardest time perceiving improves lighting performance.

i thought yellow was the hardest color for the brain/eye to process?

Are Exo/ hybrid cages legal for ultra 4 stock class vehicles? Ive seen a few that sort of look like a hybrid cage and i was wondering of there were any rules against running more of the tubing on the outside or if it was just a preference?

wow....

I am trying not to be a dick or anything but this is the WORST place to be asking that question. Naxja hasn't been relevant on quality builds for years....it is more on how to build cheap as possible.... lol

http://ultra4racing.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/2014-rules-v4.1-wlogo1.pdf

That link is your friend. ;)

There was probably more than a "exo cage" being wrong with their vehicles, and they were probably being douchebags. Just like most of the other tourists that ruin things in Pismo.

What's legal or not isn't an issue on what we do. Some states have lift laws, that effect headlight height or bumper height, but that's mostly it. All this DOT approved crap is just that, crap. There are few, if any, parts that you will buy and put on your Jeep that are DOT approved. It's a non-issue.

Ask him where he read that? :)

Not trying to fuel the fire. Just wondering if you have any first hand knowledge or have researched the CVC for this?

I know there are some fairly loosely worded sections in most codes that are up to interpretation. So if the CVC has some section regarding modification to factory safety or crash performance systems, I could see that being a reasonable interpretation.

I understand that new car designs are incorporating things like pedestrian safety into bumper designs (I know sounds crazy) and I have come across a few articles recently criticizing off-road bumpers for causing excessive damage or increased injury in traffic collisions.

Not saying I agree or dis agree - but I could see an officer making an interpretation and letting the court decide.

Back