• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

spring hits track bar bracket

dfarmxj

NAXJA Forum User
My driver side spring hits the frame side track bar bracket when that side is compressed. Is that just a fact of life with these vehicles, or is there something I could do about it? I have been thinking about a new track bar that doesn't use a ball joint on the frame side, (if they exist, I haven't looked around @ track bars yet)would this fix the problem?

The jeep is on 4.5" rough country springs with short arms.

There are quite a few aftermarket double sheer setups.
Dirtbound offroad has the IRO trackbar/bracket. Then there's Ironman4x4fab, Full traction, RE, etc. Take your pick most are around 200$ with bracket.

How would I measure if my axle is centered? When I installed my lift, it said to drill a new hole in the axle side bracket for the track bar. (Which is why I've been thinking about an adjustable track bar)

Place the Jeep on level ground and measure or do a visual of how much tire is exposed outside the fender flare; both should measure approximately the same.
If one extends alot more outside the fenderflare; your differential is not centered. You should install an adjustable tracbar to allow you to adjust and center the differential under the body.

If your still running the stock track bar that is your problem. I would swap it out before you take it Offroad and break that upper ball joint off, that track bar is also limiting your flex alot. You should be about maxed out as far as the droop goes. I bought the iron rock Offroad setup and that track bar is very nice.If your at 4.5" get their 3-7" track bar setup.

its still just a fact of life. mine does it and i run an adjustable trackbar. you could bumpstop more so that side doesnt compress and bow the spring as much

A track bar that is too short will pull the axle along with the spring to the driver side and away from the track bar mount. If ithe spring is hitting the mount it is more a matter of the axle being too far back IMHO. Using the lower control arms, push the axle forward 1/4 to 1/2". That should be enough to eliminate the contact problem.

You will also need to get an alignment. Also, I do agree with everyone,...Get an after market track bar and bracket. The XJ will thank you for it.

Back