• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

electrical problems and weird buzzing noise..help!

danja2

NAXJA Forum User
So I did a lot of researching, however, couldnt fin'd anything as well described as my problem so I don't know if I have a bunch of problems or if this is all tied in. I am pretty sure it is all one issue.

So here it goes. I bought this 2000 cherokee sport with only 106k with a bad motor but great body overall. Its had this problem from the previous owner and I have been trying to figure it out ever since by doing research about testing wires and relays etc...

So here are my symptoms:

1) Power door locks won't work at all at any of the switches
2) Driver's side door always locks itself somehow after key is out. I've had a few close calls with this one because I only have one key and would leave it in there by accident, so i leave the window partially open. I am pretty sure it is only the driver's door, it might be the passengers too but I never really noticed it on that side.
3) There is a weird buzzing noise coming from the passenger side switch unit and stops when i hit the passengers fuse kick panel lightly.
4) Seems like my battery drains over the period of a week or so if I don't touch the jeep
5) Also a weird buzzing noise coming from the mini overhead dome when I put the light on.

I have replaced the passenger side switch unit with one from a junkyard that I pulled, but it does the same thing. It unlocked all the doors when i plugged the second one in and thats all. I have read that sometimes its the main switch unit on the driver's side front door. Can this be a cause of all of this, even of the overhead dome noise? I swapped relays to check those real quick but no luck, still all the same.

Also read that it can be a bad wire or broken wire inside the rubber grommet that runs from the door to the body..Can a couple or few bad wires be causing all of this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I couldn't find anything about this particular issue(s)!!

Have you had problems with water intrusion in the passenger footwell area?

Buzzing noises are usually related to relays. I'd have to look into it but I think all those systems you describe are powered through the Junction Block (passenger footwell). You may want to pull the panel off the JB (not just the fuse access panel) and see if you can locate a relay that is buzzing. You can put your finger on the relays and feel the buzz. If it's not buzzing when you're looking in there, tap the relays and see if you can activate the buzz. Let us know which one it is (if you can find it.

Also, shake some wire bundles and see what happens.

I believe the IOD (Ignition Off Draw) circuit provides power to the door locks, interior lights, radio, PCM, and other magic systems. The fuse is in the Power Distribution Center in the engine bay.

Cheers

Edit: Forgot to mention that I had an odd buzzing relay episode the other day. I pulled the cover off my PDC to check it out, and when I did there was a buzz sound that lasted about a milisecond. I didn't think anything of it and put the cover back on.

While working on my beast ('99 Sport) I would hear a buzzing coming from the engine bay, but by the time I got to it the sound stopped. This went on for several minutes. Finally the buzz went to full time. It was coming from the PDC. I pulled the cover and touched each relay and it turned out to be the Cooling Fan Relay. I disconnected my Battery neg cable, pulled the relay, and checked for power to the pins (short?) found everything okay, then checked the relay pins for continuity, resistance etc., found okay. Put it back, reconnected the battery. and it buzzed. I grabbed the relay and wiggled it and the whole PDC moved. Apparently when I pulled the cover off the first time I unhooked the PDC from its retainer clips, allowing it to rock around. I secured the PDC and the relay stopped buzzing. Without looking into it, I'm thinking that the wires in the PDC that go to each relay and fuse are very close together and that when my PDC was dislodged it allowed power from another wire to short to the Cooling Fan Relay. People with lots of electrical problems with their XJ may want to inspect their PDC internals and see if there is evidence of water intrusion, corrosion, shorted wires, etc. Same with the JB.

Last edited:
1) Power door locks won't work at all at any of the switches
2) Driver's side door always locks itself somehow after key is out. I've had a few close calls with this one because I only have one key and would leave it in there by accident, so i leave the window partially open. I am pretty sure it is only the driver's door, it might be the passengers too but I never really noticed it on that side.
3) There is a weird buzzing noise coming from the passenger side switch unit and stops when i hit the passengers fuse kick panel lightly.
4) Seems like my battery drains over the period of a week or so if I don't touch the jeep
5) Also a weird buzzing noise coming from the mini overhead dome when I put the light on.

1) wire problem or master switch panel failure
2) short circuit in door wiring
3) short circuit, or wiring / switch issue
4) short circuit
5) I dunno, short circuit ?

Wiring issues in the doors are common. Inspect the driver door wire harness for broken splices, damaged wires, or chafed/melted insulation. If you find the wire problem most of the issues should clear up.

I would definitely check the continuity of the wires going to the door. In cases of flaky and irrational electrical behavior I would look carefully for a bad ground as well. Don't neglect the door switches for dome lights, which are always energized. If you're running down the battery and have buzzing in the dome lights, that's a good place to start.

Back