• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing lower track bar bolt

hawk_sixsix

NAXJA Forum User
Searched around, haven't seen this particular issue though.

The bolt that secures the track bar to the axle - it has the flagged nut on the back. I assume this flag is attached to the nut (welded?) to keep it from spinning. I hit the nut with PB for 2 days; today I used a torch on the flag to soak heat into the nut, turned the bolt with a breaker bar slowly - no snapping - turned smoothly and steadily... but isn't backing out at all. :bs:

Plan B is to cut the bar out and punch the nut/bolt out the back, but I'm hoping there's an easier solution - or at least an explanation as to what's happening here.

Since you live in NY (rust belt) the bolt has fused itself to the steel sleeve inside the tracbar bushing...
I tried PB blaster, heat, leverage on the bolt head and finally had to cut the bolt on either side of the tracbar bushing to remove the tracbar.
Replace the bolt and captive nut; then applied liberal amounts of Anti Seized to the bolt and bushing sleeve so it hopefully doesnt happen again.
Having been born and raised in NY; when ever I disassemble any bolts in the suspension I apply liberal amounts of Anti Seize.

Ah, okay. XJ came from Ohio, and I had it through a few NY winters. I know what you mean.

So the same deal as to what happened to my leaf spring eye bolts and bushings. Here we go again... although this time I can just cut the bolt at either end of the sleeve, because I can access the nut, unlike those leaf springs.

Thanks for the explanation, I'll get right on that.

I am having this issue now, except I was able to remove the nut and plate, only to have the bolt remain in place. I made some progress as you can see I can slide a pry under the head but she won't budge anymore. I tried prying the base of bolt forward while turning head with a wrench. And can't get past this point. Tried turning tires , jacking up and resetting . Is there a tip I am missing? I need to finish to drive to work tomorrow. Thanks

93103d1328668805t-how-remove-axle-side-track-bar-bolt-image-1047246534.jpg

93104d1328668810t-how-remove-axle-side-track-bar-bolt-image-156647909.jpg

I tried a pry bar pushing and pulling.Even if I cut the head off the bolt, I will not be able to get the thread out :-(

The bolt rusted itself to the sleeve inside the rubber bushing of the tracbar. You will need to leverage the trac bar mount sides individually and slide a hack saw blade in between the mount and the bushing to cut the bolt on either side of the bushing. This will allow the trac bar to drop free of the mount so you can press out the rusted bolt and steel sleeve.

Does anyone that replaced the bolt know off hand how long it is? I got it almost all the way but I can just going to cut it as it still jammed in some and I figure it will be better to replace no anyways. I have the nut and plate with me but I couldn't quite see how long the bolt it. I'm guessing around 2.25-2.5" thanks

You want to be careful replacing that bolt. It's much harder than anything that I've ever found in a hardware store, at least a metric 12.9.

If you have an impact, run the bolt out in reverse while prying on the. Head, should. Back itself the rest of the way out

Does anyone that replaced the bolt know off hand how long it is? I got it almost all the way but I can just going to cut it as it still jammed in some and I figure it will be better to replace no anyways. I have the nut and plate with me but I couldn't quite see how long the bolt it. I'm guessing around 2.25-2.5" thanks

My aftermarket HD adjustable trackbar came with Grade 8 hardware. That bolt was still too long; I cut it down maybe 1/4", chamfered the end, cleaned up the threads, and good to go. IIRC, 3" bolt (to start with) sounds about right. Wheeled it pretty hard, broke some other stuff but that Grade 8 bolt survived intact. :laugh: :thumbup:

Worth mentioning it's upsized; I drilled out the mount for the fatter bolt.

Last edited:
no luck with the lower bolt, so I cut it today. THEN the new problem arose of either way I slide the bolt, it wont drop bc the thickness of bracket is shoved in the hole. I can pry the bolt wither way but it wont drop. Even with the Track bar bracket off I can not wiggle it free.

Also Hubs97XJ, do you or anyone else know the specs of the Track bar bracket bolts, as one of those broke as well... really hating the Rust belt right now! thanks
http://www.naxja.org/forum/member.php?u=38050

Should be M12x1.75x40mm, grade 10.9 or better for the bracket.

Where did you cut the bolt? Can you get a punch on the remaining section and beat it out with a hammer?

I cut it as close to the bracket as possible. I couldn't get a punchXon the back side as axle tube is in way . After a lot of prying I took the track bar bracket off the uni and was able to wiggle the axle side loose then actually punched the remains bolt towards the back of the jeep. It's all off now. Only bad thing is I egged the bolt hole a little but I plan on welding a washer on it.

Back