• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changing out the guage cluster

mr_natural78

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 SE with just over 80k miles. The SE has a very basic guage cluster with just a gas guage and spedometer. Everything else...temp, oil pressure, and all that is just a light. What would I need to swap out to a better intrument cluster that has guages for all these? Could I just pick up a better guage cluster from the scrap yard or would I need sending units and all that?

IIRC, the later models have the correct sensors already. So just swap gauges and good to go most likely.

You will need one from a 2000,plus your odometer reading is stored in the cluster.

I believe that the 97 to 01 clusters are the same. I put a 99 cluster into the 97 I had back in 02... The cluster is plug and play on the 97+ models years.

You will need to record the mileage prior to the swap and write a document attesting to the swap and the ending/starting values of the two clusters. I have hears, but not confirmed, that the DRBIII tool the Dealer has can write mileage to a cluster. Check with your local Dealer to see if it can happen. In some States, Odometer Fraud is a finable offense. Check your DMV rules.

Im am just assuming,but I based my thought on the fact that they changed the pulse count in I beleive 2000.

You will need one from a 2000,plus your odometer reading is stored in the cluster.

Don't know about AZ but here in CA you'll have to certify the mileage on the old cluster, and the new cluster when and if you sell it. Just paperwork at DMV.

Other than that it's pretty much plug n' play. If you get a cluster with a tach...it will work when installed without futzing around, as in, the wiring is there already.

The PCM runs the gauges, so I don't know that the differences in how sensors operate matters. There have been issues posted involving gauge swaps, but they also swapped motors or PCMs, which may have been the snag. There are two separate part numbers, one for 97-98, and one for 99-01. Whether they're compatible and differ only in a few warning lights (eg hatch open), or not, I have no idea. Just wanted to mention the part numbers.

In Indiana, mileage isn't a huge deal. Our titles have a mileage field, with a note above that the mileage is correct, unless one of two boxes next to the field is checked. The boxes are "in excess of mechanical limits", and "odometer reading is not actual mileage". So unless this has changed in the last decade, it is simply a matter of the seller checking a box and signing the title. Inaccurate reporting of mileage or failing to check either box, if needed, constitutes perjury.

TJ clusters can also apparently be swapped in. I'm curious about the differences between the three.

Both the PCB and the Instrument Cluster retain mileage. The dealership can use the DRB scan tool to read the mileage on the PCM to see how close the cluster mileage to the vehicles actual mileage.
When I replaced the cluster in my 1998 (build date late '97) ten years ago; I found out that there is a difference in grounds for the CAN bus between '97 and '98 (compared the pin out schematics) which causes the windshield washer low indicator to stay on and a couple other indicators to act strange.
Replaced the '97 cluster with a '99 and it worked fine... Haven't heard of any problems using a '00 or '01 in an earlier vehicle.
You can also use the cluster from the early TJs (97-01), but there are a few indicators that are missing....
The installation is a Plug and Play; there are no additional sensors or wiring to change.
To change the instrument cluster mileage to match the PCM; you will need to go to a speedometer shop with the cluster removed to have them calibrate the mileage. Most of the dealerships here in Southern California require that a NEW cluster be purchased before they will send the cluster out for calibration.
The cluster that I am using is so close to the PCM mileage that it's not worth worrying about......

Back