• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some u-bolt information.

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
I have a XJ44 from and 87 XJ that I am in the process of preparing to go into my 97. It currently has the Chrysler 8.25 axle. When I lifted my XJ a few years ago it came with new u-bolts that I have on it now. I am sure I will need new u-bolts but I need someone to confirm this for me. I also don't know if the u-bolt plate will work with the new u-bolts if I do infact need some.

So my questions are do I need new u-bolts? And if I do, will I need new u-bolt plates to go with them?

well you're never supposed to reuses u-bolts,that being said i've done it on my beaters and never had a bad experience, but the 8.25 tubes are bigger than the D
44 they will fit on there but there gonna be too loose for my liking

The bolts have to match the diameter of the axle in order to hold it in place. CW says that you should not reuse U-bolts, since they can be stretched and loose their elasticity, and they are pretty darn important.

The plates are universal, and have slotted holes for the bolt legs

The existing plates will work as long as you get Ubolts that are 1/2" diameter. If you step up to 9/16" diameter ubolts then you will need to modify the thru-holes in the plates. For a D44 you want ubolts that have a 3" inside diameter. The C8.25 rear uses 3.25" ID ubolts.

Yah I have heard countless times that you shouldn't re-use u-bolts and I definitely want to do things properly. I just wasn't sure if I needed new ones because the 8.25 u-bolts would be too big/small. Thanks for the help guys looks like I will be hunting down some new u-bolts

The existing plates will work as long as you get Ubolts that are 1/2" diameter. If you step up to 9/16" diameter ubolts then you will need to modify the thru-holes in the plates. For a D44 you want ubolts that have a 3" inside diameter. The C8.25 rear uses 3.25" ID ubolts.

Pretty sure the XJ44 is 2.75" OD

I am using a set of 1/2" diameter 'U' bolts from a Dakota on my XJ D44 for many years with not a single issue. I re-torqued then after about 20 miles, 100 milea and about 1000 miles. That was in 1997. The consencus is 'never re-use used axle u-bolts. I read a lot of the comments on NAXJA then do what I want regardless of the common belief. I have never been wrong before.

Check the bolts over rust and pits and use some longer/extended nuts and good quality washers and torque them then re-torque a few times. The final descision is entirely up to you. Trust your judgement.

well you're never supposed to reuses u-bolts,that being said i've done it on my beaters and never had a bad experience, but the 8.25 tubes are bigger than the D
44 they will fit on there but there gonna be too loose for my liking

I too have heard the argument of not resusing u-bolts, but what's the rule? Use once and toss if you ever remove your axle? Or how many re-uses are they good for?

I dunno, maybe I'm living on borrowed time.... When I had my 8.25, I dropped the axle a bunch of times dealing with shims for driveline angle issues and reused the same u-bolts.

Then I got a D44 and even reused the same u-bolts I had for my 8.25.

As stated, a D44 is 2.75" dia and the 8.25 is 3.00" dia. That's 1/8" difference clearance on the sides between the axle and the u-bolt, in relationship to my axle now sitting a the bottom of the u-bolt.

Just to make sure I didn't wind up with "loose fitment issuess", I slipped the u-bolt into position, then placed a c-clamp on the u-bolt just above the axle, and cinched it down until the u-bolt was snug against the axle tube.

I then completed the assembly by installing the top plate and torquing the nuts downto specs. Those same u-bolts are still working just fine....

some plates arent slotted ...my '91 wasnt and going from the 35 to an 8.25 required slotted holes...instead of slotting them myself i just went with ruffstuff plates and u bolts.....pure beef and i could see the rest of the jeep folding around these 5/8's u bolts

Head bolts in an engine can only be reused once, then lose their ability to hold the head against the block. Are u-bolts better? Dunno seems like it would suck to have the axle go walking away so I figure good advice to replace them anyways. Currie has cheap bolts. Any 1/2" thick grade 8 will do the job

If you use 9/16" U-bolts poly performance (and others) have plates that will work for about 15$/ea I got some new U-bolts (9/16") from them and had to make the holes in the stock plates larger. If I had the extra $$ I would have just got the new u-bolt plates.

I am probably just going to get some standard size bolts so I can keep my current plates and not have to spend anymore money. Sad to say but my XJ sees mostly street duty and I don't just beat the crap out of it when I do go wheeling. So for my purposes the extra beefiness of the 9/16ths bolts aren't really necessary but maybe later on down the road I will upgrade for peace of mind.

We pulled an 8.25 out of my daughter Mira's '93 XJ (build thread HERE), and are in the process of installing the '05 LJ/TJ Dana 44 I pulled from my Jeep in her XJ. I thought the axle tubes were the same as an OEM XJ Dana 44. Mine measured 2 5/8" exactly. I had to get new U-bolts, and the stock U-bolt plates (with slotted holes) worked perfectly as-is.

The axle is now underneath an XJ testing fit, and just needs to be pulled back out to finish-weld the shock mounts (now tacked in place) and truss.

Craig

301076_2445751433068_1530388062_32584923_694153575_n.jpg

Back