• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof Rack/Light questions for 2000-2001 XJ?

I noticed that the newer XJ’s have a short roof rail system that doesn’t extend all the way to front of the roof like it does on some of the earlier models. I’m wanting a nice mounted roof rack with light tabs. I prefer to avoid gutter mounted roof racks/baskets for the simple reason that it seems that most gutter mounts are hard on the gutters.

The other issue is roof lighting. I’m concerned that the lights might be positioned a little too far back on the roof top which may eliminate proper light exposure.

Does anyone have thoughts?

33846874113_large.jpg

I've run lights on the rack...

Not the best mod I ever chose...

Glare on the windshield, constantly being "adjusted" by trees...

Can't use them while on the road (got a warning ticket)...

Some States will make you cover lights mounted above the hood...

Just saying

-Ron

'99 was the year they switched from the full length to the short racks.

As Ron mentioned, the glare is a big thing to consider. If you are actually going to use the lights offroad, then it would actually be a little better to have them mounted back like that, because it will help prevent some of the glare on the windshield/hood.

Some States will make you cover lights mounted above the hood...

Yep, I've gotten a warning for lights on my old ARB bullbar without having covers on them.

Imageshack is being lame or I would post some pictures of mine... I have a Con Ferr rack with a custom light bar on my 2000. I have 4 Hella 500FFs up there and I love it! I only get a little bit of light on the hood and it doesn't bother me at all.

Once Imageshack comes back up I'll post some pics...

Edit: Hey look! It's back up...

dsc09043h.jpg

dsc09471g.jpg

img0056tr.jpg

I like it, a lot. To avoid being bothered about covers I just pop them off when I'm heading out to a night run. I also like the added protection of the covers from trees, rocks, etc.

Last edited:
I'm leaning towards the Defender racks. It has welded light tabs and mounts to the OE rails. Any thoughts?

Talk to Jim at outdoor logic. He makes some sick looking roof racks equipped with light tabs and such. Bestt looking racks I have seen.

Has anyone ever ran the rack for JCROffroad? I am thinking about that one, dont need it for much, skiis, mountain bike, hi-lift and a shovel.

I have a '99 XJ Classic... it came with short roof rails. I wanted longer rails as well as a different system all together, so I could use some thule racks that I already owned. I went to the JY and got some rails off early XJ's... mabey '89 or '90 i think. Basically C-channel. It's easy enough to drill new holes in it, but you have to add a bolt to the front... drilling a hole into your roof is required. it's lower profile than my origional rails as well.

Thule sells the same C-channel for about $100-200... should cost $10-20 from a JY. This rail is also good for mounting your accessories onto trailer tops etc.

Last edited:
Dieselenthusiast: I could not get your image to dwnld.., oh well.

Took an aluminum/chromed stancheoned roof rack off of an older Jeep Cherokee, i.e., 70's, (Wagoneers have 'em too). Mounted it on my XJ forward enought to allow for a second spare tire to be mounted behind the rack, i.e., on the aft end of the roof, (intend to obtain tire carrier rear bumper). Placed rack it so that I could eventually add a 'third rail' across the roof to allow for frontal top side lamps, yet allowing for transport of some boards, etc. The positioning for that eventual light rail would be about a foot and a half back from the windshield. Also allows for the addition of a magnetic CB mount to be mostly centered on the vehicle's roof allowing for 360 trans./recept. The old style Cherokee roof racks must be fastened through the sheet metal roof, i.e., 12 screws, etc. They are stronger, and easier to deal with having no springs in the latch mechanisms, just screw-knobs. I've tried to recycle a couple of XJ roof racks, and they were just too problematic, hence I went for the work horse. Somewhat easy to find in junk yards, etc. There are also chromed ribs that can be removed from such a find as well, in order to better displace loads, including the addition of a homemade basket that can be portable, i.e., to fit inside of the older Cherokee roof rack, and secured, and then removed if desired. So many options, so little time.

Look at kevins offroad. I have his roof rack on my 01 and love it. It comes with light tabs,jack mount,shovel mount,and spare tire mount .

Last edited:
Look at kevins offroad. I have his roof rack on my 01 and love it. It comes with light tabs,jack mount,shovel mount,and spare tire mount .

72d8c0.jpg

I like that it doesn't mount to the gutter.

72d8c0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Con Ferr rack with a custom light bar on my 2000. I have 4 Hella 500FFs up there and I love it! I only get a little bit of light on the hood and it doesn't bother me at all.

Nice Rack!

As Ron mentioned, the glare is a big thing to consider. If you are actually going to use the lights offroad, then it would actually be a little better to have them mounted back like that, because it will help prevent some of the glare on the windshield/hood.

Great observation. Is that factual information based on experience or an observation on what seems logical? I hope you’re right, if so, I will keep the lights further back on the Jeep.

Definitely from experience here. I had 6 smaller driving lights on my roof, swapped out the bulbs and 'roided up the wiring to handle 6 - 100watt h3's. There was wayyyy too much glare on the hood. I had them mounted at the very front of the rack.

Has anyone ever ran the rack for JCROffroad? I am thinking about that one, dont need it for much, skiis, mountain bike, hi-lift and a shovel.

It's cool looking and practical:

xjrackstage1top.jpg

But I don't like how it's mounted:

xjrackstage1mounts.jpg

Back