• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'98 TJ to '01 XJ Transfer case swap

Hi everyone, I am trying to determine if an NP231 out of a '98 TJ with a manual trans and 4.0 will swap into my '01 XJ with an AW4. So far through my forum searches and research it appears the input shafts are the same, I think. Besides the input shaft compatibility will the T-case bolt right in or do I have to clock the new t-case or mess with different linkage? I am hoping this will be a direct swap. Thanks in advance.

The clocking is done at the adapter,the t-case mounting is all the same.Input shaft length would be what to watch for as they are both 23spline.

So, provided the input shafts are the same length, would it be possible to use a case half from an XJ t-case to ensure that the new TJ case is clocked properly or would I have to run an adapter?

As RCP said, there is no difference between the XJ and TJ cases in terms of clocking. it is the transmission adapter on the TJ that clocks the case.

Is the TJ's 231 the Rubicon one with 4:1? What's the reason for swapping other than that?

On a side note, could I swap the 4:1 t-case from a TJ into my XJ with an AW4 and a 242?

Is the TJ's 231 the Rubicon one with 4:1? What's the reason for swapping other than that?

On a side note, could I swap the 4:1 t-case from a TJ into my XJ with an AW4 and a 242?

The rubicon transfercase with 4:1 is the NVG241OR transfercase, not the 231.

Yes, you can swap the 241OR into an XJ, as long as it is a 23 spline transmission output. I have one in my '99 w/ AW4.

The rubicon transfercase with 4:1 is the NVG241OR transfercase, not the 231.

Yes, you can swap the 241OR into an XJ, as long as it is a 23 spline transmission output. I have one in my '99 w/ AW4.

Sweet, thanks!

Is there a way I can tell if my output is 23-spline without taking crap apart? I'd like know if it's worth it for me to even look for the TJ transfercase. I'll look around for details on the swap. If you know of a good thread, could you post a link?

91+ is 23 spline.

Seiler did a good write up, search around for that thread, I don't have a link on hand.

The OR241 didn't come out till 2003.

Back