• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

0630 head on an 01 - exhaust???

watson

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry - I know there are a lot of posts about this and I've done my best to search but trying to search at work without getting busted is limiting my time and I need to get some answers so I can order parts and get my ride back on the road...

So I got bit by the 0331 head crack. Got an 0630 head off of a 96, dropped it on over the weekend and bam - see that the exhaust manifold on the 01 does not line up directly with the exhaust ports on the head. Should have done a little more research. So what are my options?
#1 - I've seen adapters on here but wondering if that just allows you to mount the 01 manifold to the 96 head without leaks or does it address the issue of the exhuast gas leaving the head and hitting a wall of gasket and manifold? Looked to me like there's a good 1/8 - 1/4" of manifold that will be blocking the bottom of the exhaust port. Won't this really affect flow?
#2 - I've heard some aftermarket headers for an 01 have larger tubes that will cover the full port on the 0630 head. Any recommedations for one that is sure to work? That would be the simplest solution since it'll hook up to the factory 01 pre-cat tubes. I know some are very pricey though. Looking for something at least under $300.
#3 - I read somewhere that someone used one of the ebay stainless headers for a 91-99 head and then bought a Walker downpipe from Advance Auto or Rock Auto. I actually placed an order with Rock Auto for that downpipe and know a guy with a slightly used ebay header that I could get. Then I started thinking about the O2 sensors. My 01 has 4 O2 sensors. The 96 downpipe I ordered would only use 2. Who has gone this route and how do you trick the computer into thinking there are 4? Do you need to actually weld in bungs for the 2 "header sensors" and then bypass the two post pre-cat ones? This seems like it could become a mess and make the engine run like crap.

So I'm now leaning to option 1 or 2. If the adapter doesn't hurt performance that is the cheapest and easiest. But if it does block flow then I'd probably lean towards an aftermarket header if it isn't too much more.

In the meantime I'll take this downtime to fab up some brackets for the coil-rail to work with the 0630 head.

Thanks in advance!!!

Thanks.

Yeah I've been doing more reading ever since I got off work. Can't find a header that fits my budget. I've been emailing Mike (who makes those adapters in the link you posted) back and forth all afternoon. Actually ordered one of those adapters from him earlier. Still very curious to hear what other guys have done. May use this adapter as a short term fix to get me back on the road. I hear the 0630 head flows much better than the 0331 but I imagine with the wall the exhaust air hits going into the 01 manifold I won't see any performance benefit. So on down the line I'd like to see what my options are for seeing those benefits.

All you have to do is port the newer manifold a bit, or don't. I just bolted it up with the 01 gasket. No leaks, no noticeable issues or lack of power, but I plan on doing a header down the road.

I made brackets and hung them off the Valve cover studs, then used bolts/nuts to mount the coil pack to the bracket. been going strong for a few years now (I used a 7120 head for my repair)

Last edited:
Back