• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exploding Muffler

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
So, last night, I'm cruising along in the 73 when I hear what sounds like a 12 gauge. I pull off to the side of the road and notice that the truck is considerably louder now as well. Turns out one of the mufflers exploded, taking out the entire seam along one side.

I now have a 1.5 exhaust, 2 pipes, running separate, 1 muffler. :D

my mother recently found a 6" crack in one of her wheels on her dakota, when the tire wouldnt hold air...

crack, it happens!

It might just be my butt dyno playing tricks on me, but it feels like power went down. I could just be miscalculating based on how loud it is now. At 1/4 throttle it's louder than it was at full throttle, so my brain might be expecting full throttle power at 1/4 throttle now or soemthing...:D

And I hope I see better mileage...it'd be nice to see double digits finally. :party:

you'll lose a bit of torque based on the loss of back pressure, your butt dyno isn't lying to you. less back pressure moves the torque part of the engine's powerband up to higher RPMs.

Is this on the XJ or the truck? I have a stock XJ muffler in the scrap metal pile if you need it it's yours.

What kind of muffler was it? We had a magnaflow let go on the ProTruck last year. Made so much noise (vibration and rattling sounds) they thought it was the transmission going bad.

This was on the 73 Ford. I have no idea on the muffler type...best I could guess is old. :D This one's still fully attached but completely useless with a gash running the full length of the muffler.

Isn't this what aluminum duct tape is for?

David Bricker / SYR

For mileage try giving it a tank or two of premium. My '71 gets around 9MPG mixed highway/city (commute) on 87 and around 11MPG on 91.

It's all in you're head. Higher octane fuels don't have more energy than lower octance fuels, they're just more resistant to detonation. Unless you're pinging or knocking on the low grade fuel there's no reason to run higher grade.

It's all in you're head. Higher octane fuels don't have more energy than lower octance fuels, they're just more resistant to detonation. Unless you're pinging or knocking on the low grade fuel there's no reason to run higher grade.

Nope, not in my head nor driving style, I've got the data to prove it.

Leaded gasoline had a higher octane rating than unleaded. While I'm not hearing pinging on 87 it certinaly is getting better economy, power is unchanged of course.

My 73 did the same thing, just after it hit 280 thou on the stock motor.At 326 thou it had to be rebuilt cause it blew the muffler again and had a knock in it after that.Never did find out why.The truck is now owned by a friend of mine and he has put another 80 thou towing trailers, just as we did when my dad got it in 73.

See, the PO claims only 127k, but I'm doubtful. The paint is all worn away on the driver's door where you rest your arm with the window down. He also claims a recent rebuild but I've seen no evidence. I'm slowly replacing parts. I've been told it might not be getting spark to a cylinder and letting that raw fuel into the muffler, so a distributor is on the list, probably save for a DUI ignition.

Darky my paint was also rub off on mine.We/dad and i always drove with our arm on the door.NO A/C.My paint on the roof was showing lite rust too

Back