• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DEATH WOBBLE

98XJLongBuild

NAXJA Forum User
Before you read this, I would like to first say that I have done alot of research on this, but still having problems.

The Vehicle:
98XJ
HP D30
6.5" Lift
32" Tires
Terra Flex High Steer
Drop Pitman Arm
Short Arm (Adjustable)
Steering Dampner

The Issue:
Death wobble at speed from 30 and up. Sort of does it at lower speeds as well.

Fix's / Parts already done:
New Ball Joints
Replaced all Control Arms Bushings
New Trac Bar Bushings
Tires Balanced
Measured Wheel alignement and was only off by 1/4" to 1/2"
Replaced one of the tie rod ends

The funny thing is is that I had my front axle shaft out and bad motor mounts and it worked fine. I put the axle shafts back in and seemed a little better. Then replaced the motor mounts and know the death wobble came back.

I need to measure my caster angle to make sure it is 5 to 7 degrees. My pionion is pointing straight for the transfer case tho. But my coils are bowing forward.

The only things I havent done is touched the caster or steering box.

How to I check to see if the steering box is bad. I have about half a turn of the steering wheel before it starts to move the wheels.

PLEASE HELP.

I was going to suggest the 2 things you haven't done.

If the steering wheel turns half a turn then I'd say the box is shot. If your coils are bowing any direction then caster is probably off. Do you know how to check it?

Before you read this, I would like to first say that I have done alot of research on this, but still having problems.

The Vehicle:
6.5" Lift
Terra Flex High Steer
Drop Pitman Arm

But my coils are bowing forward.

The only things I havent done is touched the caster or steering box.

How to I check to see if the steering box is bad. I have about half a turn of the steering wheel before it starts to move the wheels.

PLEASE HELP.

I shortened your post with the things that stand out to me....

With that much lift and High steer... What do your drag link and trac bar look like? Are they parallel?

Coils bowing forward shouldn't be a big issue.. I'm guessing your running a short are lift? If so.. Drop brackets with adjustable arms will push the axle forward correcting some of that.

X2 on the steering box. 1/2 turm befor the tires move? Sounds like a steering box is in the feature.

I was going to suggest the 2 things you haven't done.

If the steering wheel turns half a turn then I'd say the box is shot. If your coils are bowing any direction then caster is probably off. Do you know how to check it?

To check the caster I measure off the bolt flange from tbe diff cover right. And should it be 5 to 7 degrees rotated towards the rear or forward

whats your rear driveshaft angle look like?

your new motor mounts may have changed the pinion angle slightly. doubtful that would make a difference, but you never know.

also check both of your driveshafts and make sure the slip/spline and CV's are not worn.

easy way is to pull the rear shaft and drive it on front wheel drive.
and then vice-versa.

that will rule out driveshafts. next up I would say pics of the track-bar and drag link would help.

I don't think the teraflex histeer setup will run parallel with the stock TB brackets no matter what you do with the pitman arm

I shortened your post with the things that stand out to me....

With that much lift and High steer... What do your drag link and trac bar look like? Are they parallel?

Coils bowing forward shouldn't be a big issue.. I'm guessing your running a short are lift? If so.. Drop brackets with adjustable arms will push the axle forward correcting some of that.

X2 on the steering box. 1/2 turm befor the tires move? Sounds like a steering box is in the feature.

My steering bars are not exactly parrell but they are as cclose as they can get for my lift for now. Also a bad steering box would cause it to have death wobble right.

whats your rear driveshaft angle look like?

your new motor mounts may have changed the pinion angle slightly. doubtful that would make a difference, but you never know.

also check both of your driveshafts and make sure the slip/spline and CV's are not worn.

easy way is to pull the rear shaft and drive it on front wheel drive.
and then vice-versa.

that will rule out driveshafts. next up I would say pics of the track-bar and drag link would help.

I don't think the teraflex histeer setup will run parallel with the stock TB brackets no matter what you do with the pitman arm

Driveline u joint were replacex about 100,000 miles ago but they are in good shape. But since the eobble came back with the motor mounts in ill pull the front driveline in the morning.

I recently changed my steering stabilizer to a Trailmaster 4-way Coil Over Steering Stabilizer and let me say death wobble issues, no more. Before I replaced it, I could not drive a mile down the road without it wobbling all over the road. My setup is 4-5" lift, stock arms with 33's and I've been driving it around town on roads that I usually got death wobbles on and expressways at 55mph and not a single death wobble ever since I put the coil stabilizer on. No more white knuckle driving and my no more slop in the steering wheel. The coil makes a huge difference in feel and drivability.​

Here's my rig, 2010 Toy's for Tots run and had white knuckles the whole ride on Lake Shore Drive. Doing Toys for Tots run this year and looking forward in a nice an smooth ride​

Last edited:
I recently changed my steering stabilizer to a Trailmaster 4-way Coil Over Steering Stabilizer and let me say death wobble issues, no more. Before I replaced it, I could not drive a mile down the road without it wobbling all over the road. My setup is 4-5" lift, stock arms with 33's and I've been driving it around town on roads that I usually got death wobbles on and expressways at 55mph and not a single death wobble ever since I put the coil stabilizer on. No more white knuckle driving and my no more slop in the steering wheel. The coil makes a huge difference in feel and drivability.​

Here's my rig, 2010 Toy's for Tots run and had white knuckles the whole ride on Lake Shore Drive. Doing Toys for Tots run this year and looking forward in a nice an smooth ride​

Can you say BANDAID!

DW to an XJ is like Feelings to a Woman.

No matter how hard you try to understand and think you know....it can all change in the blink of an eye by an unforseen event.

And both are a B!TCH

Last edited:
I spent $180 on hydraulic ram assist, stabilizes better than your $100 band aid, and makes turning the 35's in the rocks a 1 handed affair. A tap a ram and 2 hoses are all you have to buy. Weld on some mounts and your done. With ram assist, I find steering angles and caster are much more forgiving. Never had death wobble with the ram attached.

zachandandy, glad your $180 band aid works and better then my $100 band aid. Cheers

Last edited:
Point was functional hydraulic ram assist for $80 more than a coil over steering stabilizer. Does what yours does as a side affect. Makes turning large tires in the rocks easy, takes a lot of the stress of the steering box and it's mount. I find the drag link tre's even last longer.

Back