• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No Power to Wheels

bman67

NAXJA Forum User
Lost power to wheels while driving. Replaced the transfer case and while it was on the jack stands the wheels would move. Once lowered the rig won't move. What did we miss?

Looks like your first post. Details, man, details. Year, engine, transmission, transfer case & axles would help a bunch.

Figure out where you're losing torque. If you've replaced the transfer case, start looking at the transmission.

Rig is a 1993 Grand Cherokee with over 250K miles, 4.0L engine with the AW-4 transmission. Replaced the transfer case and all appeared fine while on jackstand, wheels turned both forward/reverse when engaged. Dropped and nothing, possibly just not enough power/torque transfer?

Personally, automatic transmissions are nothing but black magic to me. How does the transmission fluid look & smell?

Beats me, then. Might start by pulling the inspection plate off the bellhousing and making sure that the torque convertor is still bolted to the flexplate.

... Details, man, details. Year, engine, transmission, transfer case & axles would help a bunch..

What transfer case, original, and swapped in ? What model and year was the T-case donor ?

What were you doing or tying to solve with the swap ?

Use the Google, it is easy to find the Jeep AW-4 Factory Service Manual. Follow the trouble shooting charts and perform the diagnostic tests.

Last edited:
With the axles on jack stands and the transmission in park, Transfer Case in 4wd and the parking brake released, Turn one of the wheels and make sure the other one on the axle turns. This will go a long way to verify the axles. Open differentials when one wheel is turned and the drive shaft is locked into place by the transmission will rotate the opposite wheel in the other direction. If if has limited slip, you will feel resistance when turning the wheel.

But is does sound like maybe the transmission has given up...

Sounds to me like there is not enough fluid pressure to the torque converter to move the jeep under load, but just enough to move the axles and tires with no load.

There is a cable adjustment on a cable attached to the throttle connections on the throttle body that controls the setting on the AW4 fluid pressure, that is adjustable.

http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/cherokee-transmission.html

I had to replace my AW4 recently because the internal seals are no longer holding enough fluid pressure. A bad torque converter will do this too.

Also check the fuse to the TCU computer!!!!!!!!

Back