• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

adapting a compressor tank for oba questions

OutkastBoss

NAXJA Forum User
ok so what I know about compressors and air lines I've learned in the last month !

anyway I have a complete oba setup with pnuematic toggle switches (no solenoids!) done on paper (a bunch in real life too) ..

It will feed both my arbs (and fill tires) using 1/4 air brake line and p.t.c. Fittings and some 1/8npt and a 1/8 bspt to 1/8 npt at the bulkheads (at axle).. and I've removed the old pressure sensor and have adapted in a viar 12volt 150psi switch and a 12 volt 150psi compressor (paid $50 for a warn) So I have that covered ..

heres where I have a question I bought a broken jobsite compressor and cut the tanks off of it and am using most of the fittings and all of the manifold and regulator.

so the first and probably easier ? is the original supply line has fins on it for cooling. is this important to retain? I hadn't thought about the air being hot from the compressor.. Does this cause more condensation? I already live in a humid area and don't want to exascerbate the problem..

I'll post up some pics before the 2nd ? It'll be easier for me to explain

Last edited:
ok so in the pic you can see the one way fitting going into tank from supply line. that keeps the pressure from pushing from tank after compressor cycles off.. (good idea)

and the second smaller line which is the run that bleeds pressure off supply line after compressor cycles off (also good idea).

the second "bleed" line is the problem it origionally ran inside of the original pressure switch to cycle comp. off/on.. it just bleeds continually (maybe something in the switch used to control it)

there does appear to be a valve of some sort at the end of the smaller run (maybe it's bad?) it seems to be another one way valve alowing air out but not in..

so I guess my second ? is is there an automatic valve for this purpous?. or can I just cap it off and leave pressure in the supply line?? or is that a big nono

Last edited:
well looks like I'm going to cap off that little bleeder and not use the finned cooling supply line..

I also decided to use a schrader valve for my drain so I can fill it if my compressor fails ..at any old air pump..

even though I'm talking to myself here I'll post up if any of those turn out to be a bad idea for people searching later.

For what it's worth, air tanks are pretty useless on the trail. The volume from the tank goes into the first tire in a matter of seconds and then you work off the compressor. The ARB's can work all day off the tank without the pump coming on, but who cares if the pump comes on now and then. You can run air tools if the tank and compressor are big enough, but who wants to carry the extra weight and how much real time is saved in a trail repair by having air tools.

Just my .02

yea I couldn't (with my compressor) and don't want to run/carry a bunch of air tools.

pretty much the only reason I wanted the tank was to store and regulate the air for the arb's..

filling tires and air beds rafts etc. Couldve been done just fine without a tank.
But I read (heresay) while I was researching that that initial burst would help filling be a little faster and the comp wouldn't have to run quite as long.. I think that article recommended at least a 5gal tank. (i got 4.6 gal.)

I see what you are saying about it not helping after the initial burst. That makes me wonder if it's slower/faster and easier/harder on the comp. To let it cycle off after each tire or after 2 maybe..

what you are saying makes sense I'm thinking maybe I wouldve been better off with a small 1 gal. Tank just for the arb's really.
then I could mount it somewhere else and save space. Which is allways a plus

Last edited:
For what it's worth, air tanks are pretty useless on the trail. The volume from the tank goes into the first tire in a matter of seconds and then you work off the compressor. The ARB's can work all day off the tank without the pump coming on, but who cares if the pump comes on now and then. You can run air tools if the tank and compressor are big enough, but who wants to carry the extra weight and how much real time is saved in a trail repair by having air tools.

Just my .02

I just used my Viair 330c (no tank)to air up my 35's after getting off the trail and can see that the tank would be emptied right off.

Back