• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which D44 is right for me?

Trail Ready

NAXJA Forum User
Still kinda learning here and want to eventually upgrade my axles do and from what I read there are a few different ones up chose from.I want to go with an arb locker,upgraded shafts and disc brakes.I do want to be able to use it as my dd so as far as gears do you regiment 4:56 or 4:88?thanks

Straight from the sticky from crash
29 spline Chryco 8.25: 33's with a locker, 35's without a locker. I just can't trust a 29 spline shaft to 35's with a locker. MAYBE with upgraded shafts. Good stiff housing, though, which contributes greatly to carrier and ring gear strength. upgrade your 27 spline to 29, and you'll gain these benifits.

27 spline 8.25's also can handle 35's locked, i ran it for over a year and beat them to death, the only carnage was a single broken shaft after 15 -20 runs on it.

If you are planning on putting that much $ into the rear, i would go 8.8, bigger ring gear, stronger housing, 31spl, and comes with discs

If you are planning on putting that much $ into the rear, i would go 8.8, bigger ring gear, stronger housing, 31spl, and comes with discs

Good point.I don't have my mind set on any axle yet I am trieng to learn the pros and cons on them.which 8.8 do you recommend?superior shafts?

Ok that has a lot of useful info.What gearing do you recommend?Like I said I want to be able to keep it as my daily driver but only travel 30 miles round trip to work.I don't want to trailer to the trails either.

What gears are you running now? auto or manual? Gonna upgrade the 30?
Stock gears and yes I plan on up grading the front too.I've got a auto tranny.I didn't mention the front because I wanted to learn asuch as possible about the rear first but what would you recommend for the front?

The problem with 4.88 in a D30 is pinion gear contact, only 2 teeth in contact with the ring, vs. 3 with 4.56 and down

yes, the 8.8 is c-clip, but the housing is beefier than a 44. (2.75" vs 3.25" tubes

Back