• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to Mount the ARB Compressor?? Interior? Engine Bay?? Install Tomorrow!

brianglawson

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

well, I've been putting off my gear/locker install for a long time and it is finally happening. I intended on installing my ARB Compressor today, but that never took off for 2 reasons..

1. Myself and a few fellow 1L's decided to grab a few (too many) brews after class.... (not really the issue..)

2. (real issue) I had originally been dead set on installing the ARB Compressor(larger unit, 2011 model, blue) in the engine bay somewhere along the fender wells as i've seen a few others do. However, when I came home and got into researching a bit, I began to see that there seems to be a real divide on whether or not to mount the compressors in the engine bay or in the interior of the jeep. The engine bay was originally appealing simply because it seemed like the natural spot for it.

I do appreciate the concerns for heat and moisture however... Heat was my primary concern, as we are all well aware, our jeeps have pretty tight, warm engine compartments...

I would really like to hear what other people's input seems to be.

I would also really like to see some pictures of others' installs.

Install is a 98 Cherokee, and I did purchase the Air kit, etc... A pancake tank may also be in the near future....

I found a few threads, but not many producing a lot of pics... here are a few though for others' interested...

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1055429
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=978581&highlight=compressor&page=2
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1035867&highlight=mount+arb+air+compressor

Thanks Guys, again, pics would be great!

Well, your second link is my thread where I was exploring options for mounting my compressor in the engine compartment and the third link has the pics of what I finally ended up doing.

100_7946.jpg

I'm not sure whether the ARB provides the option to mount on it's end like the Viair does so this might not even be an option. If you have ABS your engine compartment mounting options are pretty limited. If you don't have ABS, I'd mount it up by the brake master cylinder like the picture provided by XJEEPER in your first link.

I've never had heat issues as a result of my mounting location. Compressors are hot by nature/physics anyway and I don't think the ambient air around it really has much effect. While driving, it only runs briefly every few times you activate your lockers so I don't think the heat is a problem there. The only time it runs for extended periods is while airing up. The fitting for my fill hose is in my engine compartment so I always have the hood open then anyways. Air up time is usually a good opportunity to open the hood and check your engine out, make sure your fluids are topped off, haven't sprung any new leaks, etc. before hitting the highway and heading home. Take advantage of the down time and give your compressor some extra breathing room while you're at it.

Moisture, or more specifically submersion, would be my bigger concern. This will depend on the type of wheeling you do though. I avoid mud whenever I can and rarely find myself fording water any deeper than the bottom of my rig. If after a day of wheeling you are typically hosing mud and muck out of your engine compartment, you may want to consider mounting in the interior. If however you engine compartment is usually just a bit dusty, I'd say go for it.

1. WTF is a 1L'er? Do you and Farva drink a liter of cola after class?

2. Mounted mine off the cRusty air tube intake bracket with no issues thus far.

Routing of the air line is much more important than the compressor IMO.

I have my compressor mounted behind the bumper... right in front of the crank shaft pulley... IT is a a pretty handy spot because my Vair fits right there... i ran my intake into the filtered side of my air intake... i am not entirely done with the plumbing... but it uses some space under the hood that is pretty much useless and nothing else will really fit there....

Nick

1. WTF is a 1L'er? Do you and Farva drink a liter of cola after class?

2. Mounted mine off the cRusty air tube intake bracket with no issues thus far.

Routing of the air line is much more important than the compressor IMO.

1L = First Year Law Student.....
and yes, Farva and I have "Aliteracola" at 5p.m., no exceptions

Well, your second link is my thread where I was exploring options for mounting my compressor in the engine compartment and the third link has the pics of what I finally ended up doing.

100_7946.jpg

I'm not sure whether the ARB provides the option to mount on it's end like the Viair does so this might not even be an option. If you have ABS your engine compartment mounting options are pretty limited. If you don't have ABS, I'd mount it up by the brake master cylinder like the picture provided by XJEEPER in your first link.

I've never had heat issues as a result of my mounting location. Compressors are hot by nature/physics anyway and I don't think the ambient air around it really has much effect. While driving, it only runs briefly every few times you activate your lockers so I don't think the heat is a problem there. The only time it runs for extended periods is while airing up. The fitting for my fill hose is in my engine compartment so I always have the hood open then anyways. Air up time is usually a good opportunity to open the hood and check your engine out, make sure your fluids are topped off, haven't sprung any new leaks, etc. before hitting the highway and heading home. Take advantage of the down time and give your compressor some extra breathing room while you're at it.

Moisture, or more specifically submersion, would be my bigger concern. This will depend on the type of wheeling you do though. I avoid mud whenever I can and rarely find myself fording water any deeper than the bottom of my rig. If after a day of wheeling you are typically hosing mud and muck out of your engine compartment, you may want to consider mounting in the interior. If however you engine compartment is usually just a bit dusty, I'd say go for it.

Thanks for the detailed post!

Im thinking around the brake booster will probably be my going route... i too try to stay away from mud at all times, Water fording can sometime come up for me, but I'd hate to think I got that deep, I'm on 6.5", and 33's, so the top of my inner fender sits pretty high... hmmm, I suppose i can always go back and change it if i deem it necessary....

I know it would be better to have them closer, but would a pancake tank in the spare tire mounting area still be functional with the compressor at the other end of the rig??

also, are any of you guys remotely mounting the air filter for the compressor with an extension tube?

I know it would be better to have them closer, but would a pancake tank in the spare tire mounting area still be functional with the compressor at the other end of the rig??

Absolutely functional, the only argument I would see against it is that you are introducing more air line into the system. As the air line is arguably the weak link in an air system, you have a greater potential for leaks caused by damage to the line. Still the same number of fittings (1 at the compressor, 1 at the storage tank) regardless of how close/far it is so there is no difference there. That being said, I run a 1 gallon Viair tank above my rear axle...

My question for you would be why do you want to run a remote mounted tank in the first place? The ARB compressor has a miniature "tank" built into it to take care of the needs of your air locker. A seperate tank won't really help with airing up. My tank dumps in about 5-10 seconds and then the compressor runs continuously for the next few minutes while the tire fills up. Unless you're planning on installing a rather large tank, it won't support the use of most air tools, especially with such a small compressor refilling it. I guess you could use it for a blow gun to dust off the interior after wheeling? My tank is there only because the ARB lockers require stored pressure to operate correctly and the Viair compressor doesn't provide for that by itself.

My ARB compressor is mounted on the drivers side "C" pillar but I do not have a back seat. My ARB is for filling my tires after a run(I also have a Ultimate Air 10# CO2, I like redundancy).

I have a D-30 ARB locker but i have no plans on using it. My full case Detroit is much more dependable.

Mine is underneath the passenger seat on the drivers side. I have ABS and the original air box so there was not much room left there. The compressor makes some noise but runs very infrequently as my lockers are pretty tight so far. Compressor stays dry and works fine so far. I ran air lines through rubber gromments in the floor under the seat.

For years I ran the ARB compressor underhood where the old airbox was bolted down and extended the compressor intake up to the firewall to prevent water ingestion. Never had a problem.
I recently pulled the compressor to simplify everything underhood, including the wiring. I now use CO2 mounted in the spare tire location along with the original ARB switches. I replaced the ARB compressor with an air manifold and use MAC valves instead of ARB. Works just as well, it's quieter and I have less 'stuff' in the Jeep.

My ARB compressor is mounted behind the passenger rear wheel well, in the cubby area, if the cubby area had a door.

It makes some noise when turned on, but while driving it is a non-issue, and let's me know things are working. When I switch the lockers on and off, I get audible confirmation as the solenoids operate. When filling tires, I"m outside the vehicle, so the constant running doesn't matter.

I recently picked up a used VAir 400 and tank, so now debating whether to tie the two systems together (with partitioning valves) for backup, or just use the VAir for tires and make an adapter if the ARB fails on the trail.

David Bricker / SYR

anyone else seen this yet? http://www.synergysuspension.com/Sy...Air-Compressor-Bracket-Viair-ARB-p-24327.html it's intended for a jk, but i'm going to try to mount it "upside down" on the other side of the boost/master cyl in the mj. should work out pretty good, i think. i don't know if i'd pay $50(only paid 30 for mine) for it, but it shouldn't be to hard for someone with mad skillz to fab up something similar.

Back