• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

turn signal problem

gijosiahh

NAXJA Forum User
i thought i had this problem taken care of, but its still going on. yesterday my blinkers/hazards werent working at all so i did a quick search and determined it was the signal flasher. i replaced it, but still nothing. my hazards will work sometimes. sometimes it will just click, but it will not actually flash, and other times it will actually work. and if i try and turn my left or right signal on while the hazards are on it will cause the hazards to stop flashing. what the heck is going on here? i've tried 2 signal flashers...could they both have been bad or is there another problem that could be going on? could this be a fuse issue?

thanks for the help guys...it sucks driving with no turn signals.

after some more searching...it looks like it's most likely the turn signal switch...considering i already replaced the flasher and its still being dumb... sound about right?

Year, mileage?

Could be loose contacts in any one of several places. Or a poor ground, but if the lights work, then the blinking issue (cycling the bulb off then on) is probably a bad turn signal switch.

Will your turn signals work without the hazards on?
I don't know how the Cherokee is wired but the cars I work on, the blinker relay *is* the hazard switch.
Narrowing down the conditions the problem is present under goes a long ways towards diagnosing the problem.

turn signals won't work at all...hazards work sometimes...today when i turn the hazards on i'll hear the clicking, but the lights dont flash...and sometimes when i turn the hazards on nothing will happen, but if i put my turn signal on the hazards will start clicking, but still won't be flashing.

Check for a relay.

It is a pretty common issue with the later year models that the turn signal switch in the steering column becomes dirty and doesn't work right. This switch controls both the turn signals and hazards. I've had problems with two '99's and my dad's '00 TJ. You can take it apart, give the contacts a light sanding to remove any corrosion, and then use some dielectric grease on the contacts and reassemble. Won't cost much, and it is worth checking out rather than just replacing it.

Back