• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'99 electrical bugs

Crippy02

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, this is my first Jeep, so pardon the ignorance.

When I turn on the headlights, the blinker signal light on the dash lights up and stays constantly lit.

Any time I use the signals, they blink rapidly, as if I have a bad bulb. Even when I am standing there watching all the lights blink.

The right power outlet has a good fuse, no power.

I have cruise buttons on my steering wheel, but they don't do anything. How do I check to see if I have cruise and how do I troubleshoot it?

For the blinkers I'd start with the easy stuff and check the bulbs. Is it one side that only lights up with the headlights on? I've seen the bulbs short out and the filament for the parking light will lay across the flasher filament and try to light both causing power to backfeed into the turn signal circut on one side making the indicator light up.

It will also cause that side to flash faster due to the extra load created by the short.

I don't use the power outlets much but I think one is constant on and the other is keyed power. I'm sure someone can say which is which.

Easiest way to check for cruise it look under the hood. On an automatic jeep there should be 3 cables that connect to the throttle body arm. One is the gas pedal, one is the kick down for the transmission and the other would be the cruise module.

Does the light on the dash illuminate when you push the on button? It also will not work if your going below a certain speed which I think is 40mph.

For the blinkers I'd start with the easy stuff and check the bulbs. Is it one side that only lights up with the headlights on? I've seen the bulbs short out and the filament for the parking light will lay across the flasher filament and try to light both causing power to backfeed into the turn signal circut on one side making the indicator light up.The horizaontal lights AND the vertical corner lights will flash when I put blinkers on, is that right?

It will also cause that side to flash faster due to the extra load created by the short.

I don't use the power outlets much but I think one is constant on and the other is keyed power. I'm sure someone can say which is which.

Easiest way to check for cruise it look under the hood. On an automatic jeep there should be 3 cables that connect to the throttle body arm. One is the gas pedal, one is the kick down for the transmission and the other would be the cruise module.OK, will check, thanks

Does the light on the dash illuminate when you push the on button? It also will not work if your going below a certain speed which I think is 40mph.No lights at all, I have tried it at various speeds between 35 and 75.
Responses in red

For the blinkers yes but they should alternate front-side-front-side

What happens whe you use the hazard flashers instead of the turn signals?

For the blinkers yes but they should alternate front-side-front-side

What happens whe you use the hazard flashers instead of the turn signals?

Ok, I have checked, and when the blinkers are in use, all bulbs work and the fronts alternate like they should, albeit kinda dim. When I turn on the hazard flashers, everything blinks in unison at the normal slower tempo.

I also noticed, though, my driver side lights don't light up when the parking lights should be on.

On my '99 the left outlet (cigarette lighter) is keyed power and the right outlet (with attached cover) is constant on.

I think I may have figured out part of the problem...aparently it has been wrecked before and whoever put it back together put a pre-97 header cover and lights on it...I was crawling around looking for my vacuum ball and saw light plugs hanging around, looked up pics of a '99 and went, huh...that's funny...

How hard would it be, then to fix this? Do i need to get a whole new header cover or can i just swap light bezels and get the right lights in?

Ok, I put bulbs in the empty light sockets. The right turn signals are working fine now. The left ones, though, still blink rapidly and are very dim. The dash signal light still remains lit when the headlights are on and I have no front left parking lights. Any Ideas?

Back