• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ jeep stutters

danny Benavidez

NAXJA Forum User
My 1998 XJ was been stutters like I'm losing power for about 1/4 second. Any time it's running. It dose this at low & hi idle and as I'm driving down the road at all gears. It accelerate OK and never dies or even shows a check engine light. If I add some fuel system cleaners the problem goes away for about a week or so.

I'm think maybe It needs a new fuel filter or pump. But as we know thay are both inside the gas tank behind the skid plate & tow hitch. And if I do replace the filter can I use a exterior one like on the old 1996 models had ?

Always start with the cheap, easy, and typical causes for a misfire. Perform a complete tune-up including a fresh coil. Clean all the wire connectors. Search for any damaged wires or chafed insulation could cause intermittent short circuits or open circuits. Test the sensors. Test the fuel pressure. Load Test the battery.
The 1997-2001 fuel filter is not replaced unless fuel pressure testing make one suspect it is clogged.

The OBD system is far from perfect. It's not even close to that. There are plenty of "escapes" as they are referred to.

Another possibility here is a failing crankshaft position sensor or the ignition coil.

The crank sensor fails far more often than the coil, but both are suspects.

Watch your tach. Do you see the tach drop out when the glitch occurs?

I'm confused :confused1 ,. Why Does a gas cleaners keep it from stutters ? If its a electrical problem and not a fuel delivery problem ?

But anyway can I use a outside the tank fuel filter from a 1996 XJ into my 1998 (& also for my 2001) instead ? Doing so will make it easier to change more often.

Birch my 98 has a similar symptom but only at idle. I can watch the tach ocilate about 50 rpm at idle. Sounds like a little studder. However it runs smooth at all other RPM

I figured it was a ground etc as I was under the impression the CPS would either work or not work. The jeep has 200+ k on her. Should I have the coil tested or just replace?

.... I can watch the tach ocilate about 50 rpm at idle. Sounds like a little studder.

Clean the Idle Air Controller. Use a can of fuel injector cleaner. All your tune-up parts fresh within the last 36,000 miles ?

Cleaning the Idle Air Controller (IAC) :

Purchase sensor safe Throttle Body cleaner spray.

1. Remove the Throttle body from the intake manifold.
2. Remove the IAC with a TORX 15 driver (2 bolts)
3. Gently wiggle out the IAC from the throttle body
4. Clean the IAC with Throttle Body Cleaner (not carburetor cleaner). Use cleaner, a rag, and a toothbrush. Be gentle; don’t twist or pull on the pintle as it is fragile and can be damaged easily
5. Also clean where the IAC seats in the throttle body with the same throttle body cleaner
6. While you have the Throttle Body off, give it a good cleaning also.
7. Reinstall IAC, the Throttle body, and check idle quality.

standard.jpg

A misfire should cause the check engine light to come on And it's alway off.

Not necessarily. OBD has to determine a certain number of misfires within a certain period of time before it trips a light. If it's just a hiccup every now and then, chances are you won't see the light. If it starts to sputter all the time (say if you were to pull a plug wire and leave it off), you'll see the light rather quickly.

Birch, been there done that.

Brand new cap, rotor, wires, plugs very recently.

Im sure the cheapo IAC is not helping.

Also Im sure the coil is probably old if not factory.

Rather old post but did the OP resolve this? Any hints? I have a very similar thing just starting to happen on my 97. I don't see the tach drop at all when it happens. Makes me think it's something with the aw4 transmission. Any thoughts before I start throwing new parts at it?

You have already performed all the tune-up, cleaning, and testing suggested above ? The Jeep 4.0L has never been known for its smooth idle. Age and mileage can result in a rougher idle.

Yes, try doing some diagnostics testing instead os throwing parts at it.

When, EXACTLY does it act up, what exactly does it do, hot, cold, what speed, specs on the jeep, manual, auto, 4.0?....stock?

Rather old post but did the OP resolve this? Any hints? I have a very similar thing just starting to happen on my 97. I don't see the tach drop at all when it happens. Makes me think it's something with the aw4 transmission. Any thoughts before I start throwing new parts at it?

Re: Re: XJ jeep stutters

Yes, try doing some diagnostics testing instead os throwing parts at it.

When, EXACTLY does it act up, what exactly does it do, hot, cold, what speed, specs on the jeep, manual, auto, 4.0?....stock?

Thanks, that's what I was hoping for!

97 cherokee 4l aw4

It seems to happen when warmed up. When cruising around 50mph and I gently accelerate, there seems to be a slight stutter that happens for about a 1/4 second like the original poster described. It will do it a few times every 5 or 10 seconds til I let off the gas a bit. Tach doesn't move. It's noticeable enough that my wife asked if it was normal the other day. :rolleyes:

Could be a vacuum leak at the MAP sensor.

Or old tune parts getting worn out, spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, TPS sensor and O2 sensor, the upstream O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold, not the down stream O2 sensor. Or a combination of them.

I'm confused :confused1 ,. Why Does a gas cleaners keep it from stutters ? If its a electrical problem and not a fuel delivery problem ?

But anyway can I use a outside the tank fuel filter from a 1996 XJ into my 1998 (& also for my 2001) instead ? Doing so will make it easier to change more often.

No, the fuel filter is on the bottom of the fuel pump ass at the bottom of the fuel tank. They plug up over time. To change it, you have to drop the tank. Putting it back together is a PITA. A lot easy if you have two people to do it.

I'm fighting a tank leak now, but I can't get it to leak all the time.:doh:

Back