• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trac bar options

jeepfreak1020

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so right now Im running the RE extreme duty trac bar, and dont love it so much. I have to tighten the spanner all the dang time as it comes loose and I replace the races alot to, Im tired of doing this and just want to get rid of it and go with something different. I have a OTA TB mount sitting in my garage that I need to weld on, so Ill be going OTA TB. What are my options out there for a new trac bar? I was thinking about building my own out of 1.5" DOM with .250 wall, and rubbing 5/8" heims missaligned down to 3/4" Think that would be ok? Or what should I look at doing? I have the RE trac bar mount. jeep sits 5.5" tall and will be a DD for atleast another year.

Just look at one of the vendors online who sell rod end parts and tubing, like Poly Performance. Pretty simple to get a piece of DOM, a couple of weld in threaded inserts, and a couple of rod ends with misalignment spacers. Look at the misalignment spacer specs to know/choose the mounting width. Poly, GenRight, Parts Mike, JKS, all sell an over the axle track bar mount but check the mounting widths.

Would A 3/4" Heim be that much stronger then a 5/8" heim? Both the holes on my TB brackets are drilled out to 1/2" I would like to run a 5/8" bolt, but if its not going to be that big of a deal then I would just go with a 5/8th heim.

Would I be ok just using misalignment spacer on both ends, or should I go with a Safety Misalignment spacer?

Would A 3/4" Heim be that much stronger then a 5/8" heim? Both the holes on my TB brackets are drilled out to 1/2" I would like to run a 5/8" bolt, but if its not going to be that big of a deal then I would just go with a 5/8th heim.

Would I be ok just using misalignment spacer on both ends, or should I go with a Safety Misalignment spacer?
A 1/2" bolt is just fine for a track bar. There's no need for big heims and the misalignment spacers are not necessary either as the heims don't move much if at all when used for a track bar. You can just use regular bushings to fit the mounting width of the track bar mount.

Andy @ Ironman4x4fab can help and is a vendor here. He just built me a TB. He drills and taps the TB and does not use weld in bungs. All I did was install my heims.

Back