• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clock Spring 2000 Cherokee

oldbill

NAXJA Forum User
I think my clock spring went out to lunch today. Aidrag light came on, also my cruise control will no longer turn on and the horn doesn't work. Am I right in thinking it is the clock spring? Is it a dealer only part? Is this a do it yourself project or is this something that should be handled by the dealer? From what I see in the service manual it looks to be quite involved. Any idea of costs? Is there something I should check before sending it off to a dealer? I don't want to make things worse than they are.

Thanks,
Bill

Yep, that sounds like the clock spring.

Really not hard to do it yourself. Remove the steering column plastic cover, the cruise switches, and the airbag (a few screws total), then use a steering wheel puller to pull the wheel. Then you should be able to get at the clock spring. It has been a while since I parted out my old '99, but that is what I remember it took. I wouldn't be opposed to getting one from the junkyard, you should be able to check to make sure it works before you leave. I can only imagine the price the dealer would charge.

Sounds exactly what was wrong with my '98 when I bought it, airbag light on, horn and cruise didn't work, and yes it was the clock spring.

I am currently running one from a '99 TJ (same exact part) I got off ebay for $25. I remember something about making sure the donor had the same options (cruise), and the air-bag didn't deploy (fries the pigtail at the squib).

I have had good luck with used air bag parts from the junkyard. As long as the bags did not blow, the parts should be good. Just make sure the yard apes did not spin the steering wheel, as that will break the clock spring.

The system is self testing so you will know if there is a probelm with your used parts.

PM me for complete directions to swap a clock spring. It should take less than 30 minutes to complete.

I had the same issue when I bought my 98 XJ. I got my new clock spring at the junkyard for 50 bucks far less than the 250 dollars the dealer wanted. You just need to make sure that the airbags haven't gone off, The junkyard apes didn't spin the wheel, and that the donor vehicle has cruise control. Its an easy repair I did mine in the parking lot of the junkyard and then drove home. Takes about 30 minutes.

1. Disconect your battery and wait 3 minutes before continuing(This is very important! Do NOT skip! The airbag can still go off if not properly discharged).

2. There are two screw behind the steering wheel(I believe they are phillips) remove the two screws and pull the airbag off the steering wheel.

3. Disconnect the clip connecting airbad wire and cruise control wire to the clock spring.

4. Remove the nut holding the steering wheel on(I believe it to be 20mm, not 100% sure though).

5. Pull the steering wheel off the steering column using a steering wheel puller(Autozone will loan you one for free).

6. disconnect two wires connected to the backside of the clock spring.

7. Pull off the airbag clock spring(It is held on by two clips on on top and one on the bottom).

8. Swap the new on in and follow the directions in reverse.

Be advised:

There are two clock spring part numbers. With and without cruise control. Make sure you snag the correct part... That being said, the CC version will work in a vehicle that is not equipped with cruise.

Back