• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Caster Adjustments Parts...

docb65

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so i know that this is NAXJA not NAGCA but I'll ask anyway as I have two XJ's right now plus a ZJ. I recently swapped a later model high-pinion XJ front axle into my 96 ZJ, this was for a couple reasons, better clearance, better angles, the ZJ axle had bearings going out... but what this leaves me with is no way to adjust the caster or pinion angles as the 'frame' brackets aren't notched & it doesn't have the adjustment brackets in there, and the axle isn't notched nor does it have the horseshoe shaped cam brackets on the axle to lower control arm brackets.

So with all that said I got pretty lucky and the pinion is pretty straight with the front shaft, like .05*(or maybe it was .5*, either way...) based on the electronic angle finder, but I'd like to point it down just a little and get my caster just a little better. I know that I've seem one of the aftermarket vendors selling replacement/uprated/thicker horseshoe/cam brackets for the axle end then I could just notch the control arm mount.

Here is the question, does anyone know WHO sells that horseshoe bracket, or more accurately a set(4) of them?

Thanks

No idea who sells the bracket but you can use adjustable control arms, if necessary, to set the caster and pinion angle.

Most any parts house can get them. I know when I was working at ORielys we had an alignment specialty book with all the shims and stuff in it. And last I checked they where still available.

Ok, so i know that this is NAXJA not NAGCA but I'll ask anyway as I have two XJ's right now plus a ZJ. I recently swapped a later model high-pinion XJ front axle into my 96 ZJ, this was for a couple reasons, better clearance, better angles, the ZJ axle had bearings going out... but what this leaves me with is no way to adjust the caster or pinion angles as the 'frame' brackets aren't notched & it doesn't have the adjustment brackets in there, and the axle isn't notched nor does it have the horseshoe shaped cam brackets on the axle to lower control arm brackets.

So with all that said I got pretty lucky and the pinion is pretty straight with the front shaft, like .05*(or maybe it was .5*, either way...) based on the electronic angle finder, but I'd like to point it down just a little and get my caster just a little better. I know that I've seem one of the aftermarket vendors selling replacement/uprated/thicker horseshoe/cam brackets for the axle end then I could just notch the control arm mount.

Here is the question, does anyone know WHO sells that horseshoe bracket, or more accurately a set(4) of them?

Thanks

As others have posted with adjustable control arms you can adjust the caster angles. You can either lengthen the lowers or shorten the uppers to increase caster or the reverse to decrease caster.

Yeah, I'm aware that adj arms would work, but I already have after-market arms upper & lower that came from another jeep. They are Ironman's fixed length, and probably good where they are, Caster is 4.8* on drivers & 5.0* on passengers, the angle between the front face of the diff & the driveline is 89.5-90* which should give me a perfectly straight pinion. I would just like to point the pinion down 1* & add 1* to the caster. It's probably not really necessary, but I'm picky, with the adjustable cam bolts you simply loosen the lower arm nut & twist the bolt to fine tune, dropping that bolt & twisting the arm to adj can be a pain.

I know I've seen one of the aftermarket vendors like Ruff Stuff offering them, along with or as well as, up-rated control arm mounts I think, but I can't seem to find them, thought I'd see if anyone else remembered where.

Oh, and I guess I didn't think of standard chain parts stores as they are tack welded on, and those chains usually don't carry small parts like that, but maybe I'll check there.

My other option is to cut one off the old axle for a pattern and cut it out of a sheet of 3/16" or 1/4" with the plasma cutter then clean up with a hand grinder.

slot the lower mounts on the frame with a dremel and instal xj adjusters on it its pretty simple straightforward and ya wont have to buy adj arms plus ya can get the parts from a junk yard

rockthrasher: I had that thought, and it may actually be the direction that I go because I can get the parts local, cheap & fast... I just really like the other end adjustment as there are no spacers required to get it dialed exactly where you want it, but the flip side of that is that the spacers can't rotate out of adjustment the way a cam bolt could, but then again IF the two studs/nuts that pinch the spacer between the control arm bracket & the adjustment bucket vibrate loose the spacer will just fall out...

Dang my head hurts from trying to think of all the possible permutations. :(

I agree it's VERY unlikely, never been an issue on any of the 8 jeeps I've had, but when I'm just thinking about it I kind over think which way to go. Better to just jump in & do one or the other...

Back