• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 + Free Flow Exhaust Problems?

hebertracing

NAXJA Forum User
Im sorry if this has already been posted but i have a stupid question. i have a 1996 Cherokee Classic, 4.0, Automatic, 4 door. over the weekend i cut my muffler off, put 2 glasspacks on for a throatier tone. i also accidentally ran the jeep out of fuel. now my jeep will randomly sputter, sometime on idle, sometime while accelerating. has a hard time downshifting, and sometime downshifts randomly. is it possible that the free flowing exhaust is causing the engine to think i have the accelerator pressed further than i have, and is loading the engine with fuel causing the sputtering? or is the fuel pump just dieing? i hear that 4.0's do not like free flowing exhausts but i am not sure. xD thanks...

I forgot to mention. i just completed a tuneup including air filter, plugs, wires, cap & rotar and also replaced the injectors to get it to stop skipping. that was about a month ago. and yes i set the gap on the plugs lol

I doubt the exhaust has anything to do with your problems. Have you checked your fuel pressure, maybe checked the TPS? I don't remember if the 96 has an external fuel filter. If it does i would change that.

My '96 has the little in-line can filter, just ahead of the left rear tire. Certainly wouldn't hurt to change it. But, the bigger problem is that the pump may be toast. That hard working little motor needs to be immersed in gasoline to cool it. Given its age, assuming it's still original, it may be due. But, the filter may be clogged with crap from the floor of the tank. So, give the cheaper fix a try first, and if it works, with a clean filter, great. If it still isn't behaving, read the fuel pressure, and see if it's +-49psi.

alright i have replaced my fuel filter, and so far it only stalled once. maybe it was air bound? anyways it still has a hard time downshifting, although i definitly have my power back to the rear wheels. thank you so much NAXJA. Your the best ! :) ill keep you posted when i finally get my tps installed.

Throttle Position Sensor...It can cause all the symptoms you're describing. Somewhere within the bowels of NAXJA are the instructions and the values to look for when testing it. Be warned, however, that I went through five before I found one that my HEEP liked. And, it was from an older model, with more miles than mine!

NAXJA and the community within is my hero. the TPS solved all additional issues so far. tomorrow ill be able to put some hard miles on it to verify the issue is resolved.

Back