• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interment starting issues.

kevswens20

NAXJA Forum User
'98 XJ 4.0L I6

Ok so yesterday I get in the jeep to go to work, and it starts and then dies:banghead:. Start it again and it dies. Third time I give it a little gas when cranking and it started and stayed running, but as soon as I let off the gas it died. Fourth time I Start it while giving it a little gas it starts and I shift in to drive while keeping the gas pedal slightly depressed, and it stays running and I drive to work. So when I get off work I go to start the jeep expecting it to do the same as earlier in the day, but it starts fine with no issues.:dunno:

Now the things I already know need replacing, The check valve on the fuel pump is bad, and the battery cables and the ground need to be replaced.

So could one of those two things have caused it not to start yesterday?

Thanks
Kevin.

Yes, those are typical 1996-2001 symptoms of low voltage caused by dirty wire connections, bad wires, or a weak battery that is either failing, or simply discharged.

Tim is spot on with how to proceed.

1. Replace those battery cables ASAP

2. Freshen grounds while you are performing step #1

3. Load test your battery if above doesn't resolve. Any parts store will do this for you for free.

Back