• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New headlight setup

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
I mentioned in another thread but figure I would start this one and I should get pictures too, d'oh.

I upgraded my headlight harness the the eautoworks one for cheap and it really improved my stock head lights a while ago.

Recently I just added IPF housing(thanks DPGoffroad)($78) along with Phillips NightGuide bulbs($24 pair). The nightguide bulbs have 3 zones of light, blue tint on the right side to light up road signs and other reflective stuff(like joggers). It has a white light that is in the middle and a yellow tint on the left to not blind on coming traffic. Should be mentioned, the bulbs are made in germany.

I put them in the first night without adjusting them, thinking my lights were perfect before and I am just swapping housings they should still be aligned, wrong. The cutoff on the IPF housing is rather sharp, I had them adjusted to low and the light wasn't being thrown far enough.

I adjusted them proper and it is amazing the clarity, throw and cutoff in the light now. The housings really make an overwhelming difference, they are not as sharp as a projector setup but it is as close as I see possible.

The nightguide bulbs are awesome as well, I can really see the 3 zones of light and think it is rather usefull. The road signs and such on the right really seem to shine brighter than before. The throw of the light is really pretty far but the cutoff is so sharp I don't think I blinding anyone, no flashes so far. I didn't want to go with an all out brightest of the bright bulbs and blind everyone along the way. These lights put the most usable light in the places I feel needed. I haven't had a chance to drive in the rain yet with them, that is always the big test for me but I think they will do well because they are not a hyper white style bulb. The bulbs cause one side of the housing to glow a nice yellow color which is cool looking also.

The IPF housings seem very well made and have a thick glass. I can actually during the day see sunlight reflecting off my headlights and lighting up street signs now which is crazy.

All in all, I love this setup and can't imagine ever going back. I should note, I did not want to do any type of projector/hid retrofit. I wanted everything to be drop in replacements in case something breaks I can toss a stock sealed beam in and keep driving.

I upgraded my headlight harness the the eautoworks one for cheap and it really improved my stock head lights a while ago.

Recently I just added IPF housing(thanks DPGoffroad)($78) along with Phillips NightGuide bulbs($24 pair).

The cutoff on the IPF housing is rather sharp, I had them adjusted to low and the light wasn't being thrown far enough.

I adjusted them proper and it is amazing the clarity, throw and cutoff in the light now. The housings really make an overwhelming difference, they are not as sharp as a projector setup but it is as close as I see possible.

The IPF housings seem very well made and have a thick glass.

All in all, I love this setup and can't imagine ever going back. .
You do get what you pay for when in comes to headlights.
You did it in the right steps, upgrading the harness before getting better bulbs. I too saw an improvement just with the harness. The stock headlight wires are too small for even the Factory headlights.
Ran Silverstars for two years but found they had a short life, around 200 hours. Then switched to Autopals but was disappointed in the lack of a good pattern and in how thin the glass was. Death Valley's gravel roads broke both of the bulbs in their first and only trip so I switched to the same IPF housings you are using and wow, what a difference!
Upgraded to Hella 80/100-watt bulbs and I'm very happy with the results. Bright lights, a great cutoff, no one flashing their headlights at me and intact headlight housings after many desert trips. You do get what you pay for.

Last edited:
What headlight harness did you get? Im getting ready to do this upgrade as well. I am in desperate need of better light output. I added driving lights but I didnt get the output I was looking for, this is the next step.

What headlight harness did you get? Im getting ready to do this upgrade as well. I am in desperate need of better light output. I added driving lights but I didnt get the output I was looking for, this is the next step.

I got it from Eautoworks. I don't see the one I bought or they changed the name and raised the price it looks like.

Most aftermarket headlight harnesses are a one-size-fits-all affair.
Making your own allows you to custom fit each wire. It may not be much cheaper but you will know exactly how it is wired and it can be much neater, if you take your time.
See below for a good intro.
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoHeadlightLoom.htm

Back