• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replace tranny filter with TNT y link and belyl pan

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
so i want to change the tranny filter in the aw4 and realized itll be a bit of a pain with the TNT belly pan.

i could only find one writeup on it, but there was not a ton of info. anyone else done this?
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=966637

i use a ratcheting wrench to drain it now,
i was thinking about drilling acess holes to some of the rear bolts of the pan.
so it seems like i can just pull the 4 trannt mount bolts and jack up the tranny/tcase and there will be enough room to pull the pan out?

Really there is no need to replace the filter on an AW4. It is just a mesh screen. I've always just drained and replaced the fluid and mines got 250k on the clock.

yah i just drained the pan, topped it off, then drove it til it warmed up, then undid the return line from the tranny cooler, cranked it over for a few seconds, and flushed out some fluid as i dumped more in. did that a couple times. should be good. im suspecing the #3 solenoid is going out so i was thinking i might have to pull the pan anyway.

I've only ever done filter/fluid changes, never a flush. I had close to 300k on mine when I parted it out and gave it to someone for $50. Still shifted great when I pulled it.

Just undo the four nuts, and jack up the drivetrain until it hits the floor. See if you have enough room to get to the rearmost bolts and pull the pan off.

Back