• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater switch Question....

jimmy21669

NAXJA Forum User
So, on the older (pre 97) XJ's, there is a multi-position switch for the heat, for off, low, medium, high. Well, on the XJ, these are notorious for burning up. On mine, it burned up the switch, and the plug on the back of the switch, so even if I got a new switch, the plug is burned up.

I wanted to potentially re-wire it with a 3 position switch with relays to absorb the load, but I do not know how. I was going to use relays to trigger power so any new switches won't burn up. Using a 3 position switch for off, low, and high.

Anyone have knowledge on this system to get this done?

The best thing to do is go to the JY and grab a new switch, plug, and as much of the wiring leading to the plug that you can. And then solder the wires together, and wrap using a high quality electrical tape, such as 3M Scotch Super 33. It has a very good adhesive that shouldn't work its way off over time. Unfortunately the wiring and the switches are a bit undersized, and they seem to only last for the projected lifespan of the vehicle, about ten to fifteen years. Like anything else, a vehicle has a shelf life, because, after all, companies are only interested in the quality perceived by the original buyer, as they are most likely to buy new again. As for the rest of us, better hone your mechanical and electrical skills!

Back