• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can anyone tell me what these are?

mxracer624

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so i dropped my oil pan yesterday to change out my rear main seal, and laying there at the bottom of the oil pan were these little things.. i havent seen anything like this before and i cannot for the life of me figure out what they are to. any help would be appreciated! the penny is just there to reference the size.

DSC09704.jpg

DSC09709.jpg

And if you look closely at this one, i know its hard to see but it says TAIWAN on the left and then has some kind of M on the right, whatever logo that may be.
DSC09708.jpg

those are the inner part of a universal drain plug made by R&B/Dorman/Motormite/Help!/Oil-Tite products (the M is for Motormite). The part you have there is attached to a threaded rod and it pivots in the center. You tilt that part and stick it through the drain hole and when you tighten the threaded rod, it flattens out and puls the plug tight against the pan.

Last edited:
Sort of looks that way. From the picture Shorty posted, there would be a threaded pivot that the pieces attach to. Might want to look for them in the oil pump pick up screen.

haha im glad someones a car nerd cause i woulda been still scratching my head wondering what the hell they were! well i dont even have that drain plug so they must have been in there forever now! and from what i can see there are no other pieces anywhere.. all the other pieces have probably already done their damage long ago!

I bet someone screwed them out too far and lost the retainer, then replaced it with another one without taking the pan down and fishing out the piece left in there.

Twice :D

Yup, and that couldve all been prevented, by taking a pair of vice grips, and crimping the end of the bolt's threads.... making it so it cant thread off inside the motor...

Or avoiding it completely.

I've dropped the drain plug in the oil pan a few times over the years, but I've never left random pieces of metal in the pan.

I think I'd stick to regular drain plugs.

Back