• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Washer pump hose

Dest

NAXJA Forum User
Just replaced both of my windshield washer pumps. Now the rear still doesn't seem to be working and the front doesn't have enough pressure to even make it to the windshield. Can it be anything but a clogged line? Where does the line for the rear run? Where can I get replacement line?

I haven't messed with the XJ washer but on other cars I know the was a filter in front of the motor, did you clean/replace the filter? I've seen them crusted and clogged fully, also the nozzle can clog the same way. I used a pick to clean the nozzles before with them in place. Other wise maybe remove the nozzle to clean it and while it's removed, see if water shoots from the hose.

I replaced the entire pump, it looks like there's a filter-type thing built into it. Unless there's a filter somewhere in the line I think thats it.

Don't neglect the idea of a "bad-in-box" pump - it's uncommon, but it happens.

Disconnect the hose at the pump and check delivery pressure (your thumb will usually tell you enough.) If that's good, disconnect the hose from the nozzle end and blow it out with compressed air (yes, leave it disconnected from the pump do these) or with water pressure from a garden hose (hose barb adapters in various sizes are usually available at the hardware store, I have several for this sort of thing.)

Both are easier than replacing the hose outright - and if you have a blocked line, it's better to blow it out backwards than forwards. Using forward pressure often lodges the blockage more tightly into the line, rather than loosening it...

Giant gaping hole in the line ftw! Of course it was hidden underneath the wiper motor.

... also the nozzle can clog the same way. I used a pick to clean the nozzles before with them in place....

for anyone searching in the future:

easy cleaning-- pull the nozzles and soak them over night in vinegar. They'll work like new without the chance of boogering up the opening.

Back