• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blew a tranny

JOE399

NAXJA Forum User
Oil line? :huh: hahaha

So last night I was driving home from work, made it out the parking lot, noticed a little slippage from the tranny..said huh..thats weird..got on the freeway and made it about a mile before i was forced to pull over...smoking oil smell...got out and was spraying tranny fluid EVERYWHERE, it was getting into the fan and sprayed all over my engine bay :wow:

I limped it to my moms house luckily about a half mile away and parked it in the garage and haven't been back since...I am borrowing a new loaded chevy avalanche plus I have been too busy to really get down on it...(I dont want to give this sweet new truck back either).

ANYWAY...any suggestions on where to start looking? Looks like it was dripping from the drivers side radiator area? Hard to tell...oil everywhere...the tranny was slipping so bad it hardly made it up the driveway...do you think I did damage to the tranny driving it? (2 miles max)

So glad this did not happen on cleghorn last week :lecture:

the cooler line probably got into the aux fan and got rubber through (happened to me on the way home from glamis). all you need is a tube cutter and a couple hose clamps to get her runnin again. cut off the crimped part of the line where it goes to rubber hose and replace it with a piece of oil cooler hose from your local parts store. throw 2 hose clamps on each side of the rubber patch and you should be good to go.

the cooler line probably got into the aux fan and got rubber through (happened to me on the way home from glamis). all you need is a tube cutter and a couple hose clamps to get her runnin again. cut off the crimped part of the line where it goes to rubber hose and replace it with a piece of oil cooler hose from your local parts store. throw 2 hose clamps on each side of the rubber patch and you should be good to go.

Thats what im talking about :cheers:

First jeep, I didn't even know this had a tranny cooler!...does it have a pump driven off the belt too?

fix the leak and fill it up and try it out.
Solid advice right here :roflmao:

tranny cooler flow is provided by the pump inside the tranny.... nowhere near the belt.

what else happens, is the metal line gets pinched into the oil pan and upper control arm. this happens when the front bumpstops dissapear due to age, allowing too much uptravel.

something must be in the air. happened to me yesterday too. making an uphill left turn and lost all traction. looked back and saw a trail of fluid. pulled over and shut her down. popped a bottle of soda and waited for it to cool and then re-attached the line. slipped like a worn clutch for a 1/4 mile home. lost a whole gallon but still made it back. by the way, autozone sells dextron/mercon by the gallon. lol

"Blew a tranny"? Come on.....nobody is gonna comment here? This should be in the den.

Thats funny right there, i don't care who you are.

To the OP, clean it first and find the leak, as grimm said you can patch the line.
DO NOT FLOOD THE MOTOR WITH WATER FROM HOSE

something must be in the air. happened to me yesterday too. making an uphill left turn and lost all traction. looked back and saw a trail of fluid. pulled over and shut her down. popped a bottle of soda and waited for it to cool and then re-attached the line. slipped like a worn clutch for a 1/4 mile home. lost a whole gallon but still made it back. by the way, autozone sells dextron/mercon by the gallon. lol

I hated those quick connect lines, mine would always leak. So i ditched them for a barbed hose fitting.

I'm using rubber lines as well, I just put the adapters on there instead of going straight to barbs to make it easy to remove, those barbs are impossible to pull the hose off of once it's on, you have to cut it off.

Hey, post some pics of the tranny you blew.. I wanna see if its the same one this guy I know blew a few weekends ago.

I hated those quick connect lines, mine would always leak. So i ditched them for a barbed hose fitting.

actually, i do have the barbed fittings coming off the trans, with a short (4") piece of rubber hose slipped onto the metal line. i did have the hose pushed over the flange that is about 3/8" from the end of the tube, but it looks like i may have pulled a stupid and clamped the hose at the end of the hard line instead of over the flange side. now there are two clamps, one on each side of the flange. when i have more time i will make a better system. maybe tig weld a screw on fitting to the hard line. (AN or something). that rubber hose is a bitsh to get over that flange.

Back