• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto-dim rearview mirror

Mighty.Mighty_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Last Sunday I went to adjust my interior rear view miror & the whole thing came off in my hand - including the part that should have stayed on the glass. So since I have to do work, somehow I got this crazy idea that the interior rear view mirror from a Durango can be swapped into the XJ & activate the auto-dim feature. I already have a full overhead console with temp/lights/compass, so all I'm lacking is the auto-dim feature - which is a lifesaver in my Dodge.

Got my hands on a mirror from a '99 Durango. Has anyone done a similar swap & can give any ideas about wiring? The XJ is a '92.

The mirrors usually have 3 wires (IIRC). Pos and negative, and a wire to disable the auto dim when reversing. If it has a compass it may have more. Just be sure to get the wiring harness pigtail to the mirror when you install it. Wire it up to turn on with the ignition or lights and you are good.

got mine out of a grand cherokee, it has a positive, a negative, and another wire for auto activation when the headlights are turned on i think
i just wired it up with the pos. and neg. only after i found the pinout online.

I pulled mine out of a Grand Voyager. Three wires. Battery +, Chassis ground and a connection to the back up lights so the mirror clears when in reverse. Wiring is easy and you can skip the reverse hook up if you like. Just make sure the B+ line is a switched, not constant, power or you will drain the battery.

It cost me all of $10 from the local pull and pay. Grabbed a goodly chunk of the harness as well.

Got mine new a few years ago . $15 on ebay. That was auto dim, compass, map lights and outside temp. That price never came up again as a starting bid. easy when new , just plug everything in and run he wires.

Thanks guys. John that link leads to a newer version of the one I got but it's the same as the one in my Dodge. I figured since the XJ is a 92 then the older mirror would likely be more compatible. But since have to mess with wiring under the dash I think I'll et a professional (or anyone but me!) handle it. wiring hates me & the feeling is mutual.

Back